Forward shrimping

mweaver123

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So today we were doing standard backward shrimping drills. Then, to my surprise, I started seeing people do a 'forward shrimping' drill! LOL...never seen that before, but it was pretty hard on my hamstrings!:icon_chee

doing_it_wrong_skaters.jpg

Yep, so it seems. I've been training off and on since 2007...just surprised I haven't seen it before. :icon_neut

I have learned it 3 different ways at three different schools..... meaning its pretty standard and will come in handy once you learn it!

Fun@!!!!!!

Yeah, I was about to start a thread baout this. I have a hard time conceiving in what matter a front shrimp is used. Any examples?

Yeah, I was about to start a thread baout this. I have a hard time conceiving in what matter a front shrimp is used. Any examples?

They are used to get your lower core, hips, hamstrings, and other leg muscles stronger and give your better form for certain moves, such as armbars from the guard, armbars from a failed Tomoe-nage, they are part of the motion for Kani-Basami, etc.

Also, they are used to escape pins and create space when in one from North-South or Side Control.

At least that is what my sensei says.

Took me a bit, but I found this video of Jane Bridge showing exercises (including the forward and reverse shrimps) that help with an Armbar from guard:

Last edited:
I believe they are more common in Judo. They shrimp forward and shoot their hips up in the air, The experienced guys make it look pretty cool. They get airborne.

Mount escape. Shrimp right, shrimp left, forward shrimp back to guard.

If someone stands in your spider guard (for example) and they move back, you want to follow them to maintain the optimal range. Your movement is very similar to a forward shrimp.

Just one example.

Good example of how it's used is when someone has your back you forward shrimp and it makes it harder for them to choke you and easier for you to get out.

At my academy we do 4 types everyday: forward, backward, and sideways (2 ways)

sometimes we do it around the matt during warmups forward down the long lane sideways facing left on the short lane backwards down the long lane and sideways facing right down the short lane. It is a good thing.

It's essential for spider guard and de la riva guard.

It's good for any time you need to insert your hips, for instance in butter fly guard, when they post on one leg and you need to get their weight over you.

Have you ever shrimped to get out of side control or to create space from side or half guard? If so what do you do there? My answer is (because you cannot usually just bail out completely) but is to create space then "reverse shrimp" to swing my hips and closest leg into the safer position (either grab half guard from being pinned in side control, or full guard from half). does that make sense?

Back