• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rewatch Forgotten "Super Fight": Demetrious Johnson vs Dominick Cruz For BW Title (Yes They Fought)

Cruz took Johnson to Suplex City…

6.gif

Not a "super fight".
This was a Bantamweight bout, as Demetrius Johnson had yet to win a title (vs men his size) at the later created UFC Flyweight division.

Last edited:
That was only a superfight in retrospect. At the time DJ wasn't seen as a serious contender, got handled by Pickett and won a controversial decision vs Miguel Torres leading up to the Cruz fight. DJ was never a big deal at 135 but yes, anyone who's been watching a while knows this happened.

Prime Cruz gets less respect around here than most champions of his era, and he managed to stay undefeated for most of his prime. His losses can be said to be the result of wear and tear/injuries imo, and not so much the game passing him by. His style was always interesting and fun to watch.

Prime Cruz gets less respect around here than most champions of his era, and he managed to stay undefeated for most of his prime. His losses can be said to be the result of wear and tear/injuries imo, and not so much the game passing him by. His style was always interesting and fun to watch.
he was too inconsistent with injuries to really build a legacy

I have him over khabib.

I don't think most UFC fans were watching the WEC sadly. At the time bantamweight had less respect than flyweight does today.

Not a super fight. Dj was just a contender back then I don’t think he was even doing mma full time at that point. But I remember dj doing pretty good, he was out striking dom and then dom started utilizing his size and grappling to dominate him.

Another example of why DJ is regarded as the best fighter to ever live by many pundits and fellow fighters.

Massive size/weight dissadvantage for lighter weightclasses in this match up, vs the GOAT at the superior weightclass, and still gave him all he could handle despite not even dedicating to MMA full time by then.

Reminder to everyone that if I recall correctly DJ still had a full time job at that point in time and was getting paid fucking peanuts to fight part time.

And he made Cruz resort to wrestling which I don't recall any other Cruz opponent ever doing, certainly not a prime Cruz like he was in that era.

Still... props to Cruz. He fucked up DJs face and had his jaw swollen as fuck. Only time I ever remember MM taking/wearing damage.

Last edited:
Yeah I wanted to see him fight Frankie Edgar when both were in their primes. It wouldn't be a "just bleed" fight as both had crazy footwork and could be elusive. It would've been a good technical fight, though, and probably come down to a close decision.

Seeing how Frankie dropped to BW very late in his career, I'm sure he could've gone there after getting robbed by Bendo in their rematch or maybe after losing to Aldo. I think it would've been the best weight class for him as Aldo was his kyptonite and he was too small for the bigger guys starting to fight at LW.

Back