Foreign Movie Recommendations

The last good ones I've seen are:

Let the Right one In
Wolyn (the LEAST uplifting movie EVER, by the way...)

Anything by Akira Kurosawa
View attachment 490359

The GOAT film bro

815-Zp-OPg-Ob-L-SY679.jpg

I really like some Indian/Bollywood movies for some reason. 3 Idiots, My Name is Khan, Dangal and two others that I can't remember the name. I haven't kept up with the more recent movies, but I here there are some really good ones that came out in 2018.

Ah, yes i checked out a movie currently on netflix called operation red sea. It is based on Chinas military intervention in Yemen to rescue a few hundred civilians. I've seen it criticized as propaganda but who cares It had so many good battles with terrorists getting gruesomely demolished it made me proud to be Chinese by the end and I'm not even Chinese. bork1}
same director also did Operation Mekong, it's just as crazy and over the top

Oddly enough, same guy directed the highly underrated In Hell starring JCVD

I Saw The Devil
The Killer
Hard Boiled
A Bittersweet Life
Came here to recommend I Saw The Devil. Great film.

Also,
Let The Right One In
The Devil's Backbone
The Orphanage

Yea, with one take, and its far better than you would ever think possible. We watched this in the Sherdog Movie Club during Week 2 and I was skeptical of what could be accomplished in a single take. One shot that lasts for 2 hours. If anyone tells you a film can't be made in a single take, you can tell them to watch Victoria. Its a serious accomplishment. I'll put it this way, the director Sebastian Schipper has accomplished more in a single take than many directors ever accomplish with as many takes as they like.

Check out this trailer.

Nice, I will give it a shot.
Including Bob Sapp.

Best non English language cinema that comes to mind post millennium....

Yi Yi
Werckmeister Harmonies
In The Mood For Love
Spirited Away
The Twilight Samurai
Millennium Actress
Zatoichi
The Barbarian Invasions
Oldboy
Cache
Pan's Labyrinth
The Counterfeiters
Four Months, Three Weeks, Two Days
Love Exposure
Secret of the Grain
JCVD
Dogtooth
13 Assassins
Holy Motors
Blue is the Warmest Colour
Ida
Leviathan
The Great Beauty
Hard to Be A God
Two Days, One Night
The Handmaiden
Wow, nice list.

Pusher trilogy (danish)
La haine (french film)
Wolf (dutch film)
Suburra (italian)
Internal affairs (original departed)
Oldboy
Das boot
Nice the pusher trilogy is so good.
All three movies are fucking amazing me and my friends (a bunch of cholos) would go around quoting these movies all the time or try and mimic Brankos voice.

@Zer
Not throwing shade for always hyping Ran. But I went on a Kurosawa spree. In the west he is mostly known for his samurai epics. After watching more of his films I gotta say I prefer his movies set in contemporary times more “stray dog, the bad sleep well, drunken angel.”
What say sheepdogs no.1 mistooken japanese man?

@Zer
Not throwing shade for always hyping Ran. But I went on a Kurosawa spree. In the west he is mostly known for his samurai epics. After watching more of his films I gotta say I prefer his movies set in contemporary times more “stray dog, the bad sleep well, drunken angel.”

I'm with you bro. When I think of Japanese cinema and its key aesthetic I always think of Yakuza flicks from guys like Kitano, Fukasaku, Suzuki and Miike so I'm all about films with Azn dudes in suits running around getting into trouble. I'll hop on Kurosawa's balls any day but generally I don't bring up the likes of Seven Samurai or Throne of Blood or Yojimbo. They're good films, but Samurai flicks don't really do it for me. Ran is technically a samurai flick I guess but it's so much more than that too.

Open your eyes
Let the Right one In

The City of Violence (South Korea 2006)

MV5BMTk5NzE5MTc1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDY4ODc1MjE@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
@Zer

You could argue really that his samurai films were more his "blockbusters" compared to something like Ikiru but as Zer says I'm not sure I would class Ran as the same kind of film. For one thing its not much focused on typical samurai elements, no sword fights, no lone samurai righting wrongs, etc being more a political/war epic but generally I think its artier in style as well.

I'v still to watch a lot of his work but Ozu would be a good recommendation for contemporary drama, Floating Weeds would be my favourite so far.

A lot of the time I would say the strength of the samurai film is that its so flexible, moreso than the western for me where the likes of El Topo or Once Upon A Time in the West are rarer(part of why the genre declined more IMHO). Yojimbo is really more like a noir film for example or with those recent recommendations on my list Twilight Samurai is a subtle love story, Zatoichi more a stylish/absurdist yakuza flick and 13 Assassins has plenty of Miikes style to it.

I'm with you bro. When I think of Japanese cinema and its key aesthetic I always think of Yakuza flicks from guys like Kitano, Fukasaku, Suzuki and Miike so I'm all about films with Azn dudes in suits running around getting into trouble. I'll hop on Kurosawa's balls any day but generally I don't bring up the likes of Seven Samurai or Throne of Blood or Yojimbo. They're good films, but Samurai flicks don't really do it for me. Ran is technically a samurai flick I guess but it's so much more than that too.
I agree with you especially about the Yakima flicks. Have you seen kids return (a Kitano joint) that is one of my favorite coming of age/ crime flicks irregardless of country of origin.

You could argue really that his samurai films were more his "blockbusters" compared to something like Ikiru but as Zer says I'm not sure I would class Ran as the same kind of film. For one thing its not much focused on typical samurai elements, no sword fights, no lone samurai righting wrongs, etc being more a political/war epic but generally I think its artier in style as well.

I'v still to watch a lot of his work but Ozu would be a good recommendation for contemporary drama, Floating Weeds would be my favourite so far.

A lot of the time I would say the strength of the samurai film is that its so flexible, moreso than the western for me where the likes of El Topo or Once Upon A Time in the West are rarer(part of why the genre declined more IMHO). Yojimbo is really more like a noir film for example or with those recent recommendations on my list Twilight Samurai is a subtle love story, Zatoichi more a stylish/absurdist yakuza flick and 13 Assassins has plenty of Miikes style to it.
That’s why I said samurai epics, but maybe period pieces would be better, especially for Ran. Another good for that category would be Red Beard.