Footwork and Stance

SideofKO

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've been striving to better my boxing skill as of late and one area I've been focusing on is my stance and footwork. I have been using a longer stance, up on the ball of the back foot and when I counter punch I feel very strong. I've recently been toying with a shorter stance that allows me to be a tad more mobile but my punches feel weak because I am up on my toes and I do not feel like I am sitting into my punches.

Which stance do you prefer in boxing? Do you prefer a fencing like stance, or a shorter stance, on your toes, on the ball of the back foot, etc.?

Also in terms of footwork in sparring, are there any sages in the sport of boxing here that could contribute any tips or secrets? Thanks in advance guys.

Do you mean shorter or longer as in you're lowering your body or standing more upright? I think its important to learn how to adjust to the situation. There's no single answer obviously. I have a different stance depending on the situation. I like to go lower and square up when I'm on the inside. On the outside I like to stay on my toes and keep moving and jabbing.

As for footwork, I don't really know how to explain it to people. Just keep in mind that you should be moving your feet. I just try to stay mobile whenever I'm sparring or hitting the bags and I watch out for my foot positioning for I don't lose balance. I'm currently working on subtle foot movements like taking a slight step backwards to bait the other guy to move in so I can blast him with a counter shot.

Back