Footlock from back defense

So your instructor and training partner went full bore on the submissions and didn't give you time to tap both times? Is that what i'm understanding?

Correct.
The kimura I'm less concerned with, I'm more bothered about the foot-lock.

a) we dont train foot-locks (or defense) as we're almost all white belts
b) I have a comp coming up in a few days
This is a problem in itself. Footlocks, including that one, are legal at white belt and you need to be training them if you're going to compete or you're going to get hurt by something you don't even recognise.
Was this a dick move, or am I just being a bitch?
It's possible he went harder with it than he intended, we all make mistakes sometimes and people's flexibility in their ankles varies a lot. I wouldn't say he's necessarily a dick if he apologised and doesn't make a habit of it.

If your instructor did a legal move to you and released it when you tapped I think all is right with the world.

I know that you are worried with the comp, but trust me, you probably will never cross your feet again. He made a favor for you!

[]'s

Train footlock defense before your comp!

I think it's easy to read guys who haven't trained any footlock defense, they are really oblivious to how badly they are leaving their feet open to be footlocked. This can be a huge problem, especially in a competition. Once you learn footlocks and the defenses to it, you stop leaving your feet dangling our there for the taking.

what promotion is running the grappling tournament?

Footlocks are almost always 100 percent legal at white belt

what promotion is running the grappling tournament?

Footlocks are almost always 100 percent legal at white belt

It's a regional comp, hosted by one of the MMA gyms. It mostly follows IBJJF rules, except wrt to foot locks at beginner/white belt level. Also, no slams (not sure what the IBJJF view is on that).

It mostly follows IBJJF rules, except wrt to foot locks at beginner/white belt level.
Straight foot locks are legal at white belt in IBJJF. You need to find yourself a copy of the rules.

I competed in a competition a few weeks ago with a 'non-standard' rule set which I nor my team mates read. It was a bit of a mess, partially our fault for not looking at the rules, partially as the refs also didn't seem to know the rules.

The defense is, don't cross your feet.

It's a regional comp, hosted by one of the MMA gyms. It mostly follows IBJJF rules, except wrt to foot locks at beginner/white belt level. Also, no slams (not sure what the IBJJF view is on that).

The IBJJF view on slams is also "no slams."

Those footlocks come on fast for some people and other people can have there foot basically twisted in a circle and be fine. This kind of goes the same for the body triangle counter as well. With that being said, I'm sure your instructor wouldn't do that intentionally.

Ultimately, you are the governor of your own safety. You're a whitebelt you're going to get tapped...ALOT. So just do so. If you get caught in a Kimura, dont fight it, tap early and work on how you got into it instead of how your going to get out of it.

If you're waiting till you hear cracking noises to tap, i think the problem is on you.

Back