Food and nutrient for the central nervous system.

Ted-P

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
We always talk about getting the protein and carbs to heal the muscle, but what about the CNS? I heard heavy lifting or high intensity training will tax the CNS.

What should I eat to aid the recovery of the CNS?

Sorry, I posted this again because there are people in each forums that really don't check each other out so I just wanted from the respone from both sides.

all white brain matter and i think most nerves are coated with something called myelin. myelin increases the speed of the nerve impulses traveling along. the more nerve impulses in a given time, the more effort is put into a lift. so without a fully recovered nervous system you really arent performing at your best. nerves also need time to recover calcium.. calcium is what stimulated muscle contraction at the lowest level. they are like little batteries that keep recharging. thats all i know. yeah its not good to rape your body every day.. your CNS needs rest just like your muscles.

what should you eat? id say take some multivitamins because i have no fuggin idea

omega 3 if i recall for myelin ....

but ummm how about sticking to the food pyramid that was posted up here not that long ago

Fish oils, so basically what herculean said

Are fish oils that great at preventing burn out though? I'm almost certain that I'm burnt out. I train bjj or kickboxing 5 nights a week for an hour and a half. I have sparring for a hour 2 days a week. And I lift during lunch 4 days a week. I've done all of this for clsoe to 2 months straight with my only rest days being saturday and sunday and it felt like my body just crashed.

I woke up for work at 6:30 this morning and ended up taking an hour nap there then I took the rest of the day off and went home. I took a nap from 2 til 4:30. Relaxed for a bit and napped from 5:30 to 7:30, tehn I went to teh gym and had no energy at all. I don't feel the symptoms of a cold, I just feel physically weak and have no energy.

I diet and take 2.7 grams of omega-3 fatty acids in the form of fish oil. Is there anything else I can take to recover? Thanks.

Timbo, you need to sleep more and lay off a bit.

Your body needs to recover. And if you feel your mind needs to recover as well, look into the phsophatidyls.

Thanks KK. I'm going to take a few days off all training.

King Kabuki said:
And if you feel your mind needs to recover as well, look into the phsophatidyls.

I heartily agree with this! Phosphatidyl choline and phosphatidyl serine would both be great options to boost neural recovery.

Someone also mentioned omega-3... thats good as well, but try to get a product which is high in DHA (docosahexaenoate) and low in EPA (eicospentaenoate), as EPA is notorious for interfering with blood clotting. As a warning though, excessive fish oil consumption has been linked to decreased immune response as the fats interfere with inflammatory messengers your body makes.

Finally, I would also recommend acetyl-L-carnitine (not regular carnitine) and taurine. Possibly CoQ10 (ubiquinone), but that is a bit less specific for the brain.

Hello,

apologies if its inappropriate to ask this here - dont mean to jack the thread. I have a similar question - rather than nerve 'recovery' i'm more interested in repair. That is, is there any particular supplements / types of food that would aid in healing a damaged nerve (eg. from a pinched nerve).

I'm already on the fish oil, just wondering if there's anything else to try. I've heard St. Johns Wort may help.

Back