Flying armbar.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
Does anyone have any videos or pics of how to do it?

*winces*

Please... Please, I'm not even going to be a dick about this... But please, do not attempt to learn this move from a forum, pictures, or video tape. You're going to break your fuckin' neck.

At the very least, if you DO try to learn it, practice it in a pool.

DO attempt to learn this move from a forum, pictures or video tape! The "practice in a pool" it's a good thing. I learn it this way and now I catch my training partners with it from time to time. I've found the 2 most important things are: the setups (very easy to be predicted by the other guy) and keeping the grip on their neck till you come to the ground. As far as I know there are 3 big ways to do it: with the knee on their hips, from jumping to guard (doing the move "later" on the ground) and the "classic" one with one leg under their arm and one over the head.

Ask your instructor. Our more advanced guys (Orange and up in Judo) practice it.

I know the flying triangle...Just the armbar is kinda wierd and hard to get.

With this move, practice makes perfect or a hell of alot of pain.

I have tried it twice in tournaments, neither were succesful but i turned one into a triangle and the other into a knee bar. You should just jump in the air and try to land on your head. Oh and hold onto their arm.

I have hit a version of the flying armbar in a tournament setting.

The key is not to jump upwards. From standing, your opponent gives you a right stiff arm to stop your shot (wrestlers do this all the time). You counter by grabbing high on his right tricep with both hands.

Now the key is to simply fall down and backwards. Place your right knee and shin into your opponent's hip. Use your bodyweight as you fall to straighten out his arm. Kick your left leg over his head, squeeze your knees together, and arch for the finish.

Jumping is a waste of energy. It looks a little bit cooler, but it is slower and much more dangerous. If you mess up the falling version, you have just pulled open guard. If you mess up the jumping version, you have just landed hard on your head.

I believe Genki did before, also he goes for those flying triangles like there no big deal too.

From my experience the only time i didnt hurt myself and got a decent armlock, i let go quickly cuz i didnt wanna hurt my buddy, and he had his hand orignally on the back on my neck, liek a wrestling hold.

stop trying to get ahead of yourself you overly-eager-wannabe-grappling champion

stick to the damn basics and learn these! these will get you victories. flying armbars will get you hospital visits and worst of all could be the end of your career when you land on your neck or get MADE to land on your neck and thats a cervical vertabrae knocked out of allingment and goobye grappling career!

leave this to black belts who have been in the sport for a long long time and proffesionals who need to entertain crowds with fancy moves!

for GODS SAKE!!!

If you try it in traning, make sure you dont hurt the guy you are sparring. Its easy to overextend it FAST and he wont have time to tap. A good way to practise it might be to only secure the upper part of the arm and then jump. This way you cant crank it in the fall.

There is also 2 ways of doing it

1) jumping like you jump to guard and then pull it from there

2) jump straight into it

you can first train yoko wakare which gives you a kind of direction of the fall.
for the arm bar, u can go for the inside or outside. from the inside u arrive on ur back, if you re not lucky on the head or neck, from the outside u arrive on the tummy/side and usually the other roll and u finish like if it was from the inside.
imo it s better to first consider the take down first and after the arm bar. if u ve the arm bar first and the other doesnt come with, u ve to fall bad to not hurt him or he come with you with all his weight on ur neck.

b0b said:
Ask your instructor. Our more advanced guys (Orange and up in Judo) practice it.
Orange and up? Are you serious? I've never met an orange belt (who had'nt trained elsewhere) who could flying armbar, you must train at some freaky damn club.

Balto:
I have hit a version of the flying armbar in a tournament setting.

The key is not to jump upwards. From standing, your opponent gives you a right stiff arm to stop your shot (wrestlers do this all the time). You counter by grabbing high on his right tricep with both hands.

Now the key is to simply fall down and backwards. Place your right knee and shin into your opponent's hip. Use your bodyweight as you fall to straighten out his arm. Kick your left leg over his head, squeeze your knees together, and arch for the finish.

Jumping is a waste of energy. It looks a little bit cooler, but it is slower and much more dangerous. If you mess up the falling version, you have just pulled open guard. If you mess up the jumping version, you have just landed hard on your head.
Exactly. I don't understand why you have to jump like a suicidal person, just to justify the "flying" part. Fall down, pulling him down, while you put on the armbar. Why jump? You'll just hurt yourself. I've got to admit, it looks cool when that Kashiwazaki person does it, but if the opponent just drops down, you'll land on your head. I don't understand how Rumina Sato manages to survive all the crazy flying armbars and triangles he does, I mean he falls down hard every time. He doesn't weigh much and he's very athletic I guess, but still.

I ended up slamming a guy comically hard into the mat who tried this on me--
I didn't mean -- sorta a gut reaction. He was new at the school and wanted to prove himself.
Anyways, he was pretty dazed and had to sit out for awhile... I am. not sure just how practical or desirable this move is to learn...

i always liked the version where you start in a collar-elbow tie (standard wrestling tie up). you hold tight on the back of his neck, move your other hand from elbow to clamping down his wrist onto your collar. put your shin/knee into his opposite side and pull him down while you throw the leg over. just try not to stack yourself so you can secure before you slip off.

problem with this is that you want to bust it out on new guys but that's a bad idea because you dont know how they'll react.

Back