Floyd doesn't hurt his opponents ...

No. The point is that there are a lot of components of boxing that are not called boxing. This includes hurting your opponent, hugging, defending. Just because a sport isn't named after all of the components of that sport does not mean those components are not part of the sport.

But you knew that.
yeah, but that's just semantics. So long as you're winning definitively, it doesn't matter if you're getting the KO or not. Floyd could have zero KOs and his legacy wouldn't take a substantial hit. While it's nice to see a flashy KOs, no boxer has to do that, they just have to show up and win.

yeah, but that's just semantics. So long as you're winning definitively, it doesn't matter if you're getting the KO or not. Floyd could have zero KOs and his legacy wouldn't take a substantial hit. While it's nice to see a flashy KOs, no boxer has to do that, they just have to show up and win.

Right. I don't think the OP denied Floyd was a great boxer. Just that he hasn't hurt someone in a long time. That's true. Or at least hasn't hurt someone bad in a long time.

Right. I don't think the OP denied Floyd was a great boxer. Just that he hasn't hurt someone in a long time. That's true. Or at least hasn't hurt someone bad in a long time.
I mean yeah, he doesn't take chances unless necessary. That said, like DeJulez pointed out, he was laying a beating on a lot of guys as the rounds went on. Floyd isn't a one punch guy, but he can lay it on when he ups the volume and has superior conditioning (and he almost always has superior conditioning).

Every time I've seen Floyd fight he shows amazing understanding of defense (the best) but he doesn't hurt anyone. I can't remember him even wobbling people.

I see interviews with people in Floyd's camp and his family etc... and they always say Floyd is going to KO the next chump...

Delusional? Or can someone show me some highlights of him Ko'ing or Tko'ing people?

Where's the KO here?

Young Floyd was a pretty good finisher. Hard to say how much his hand troubles have to do with his lack of KOs or his concentrating more on defense as he moved up in weight. He still has pretty good pop though to get respect even if he isn't a finisher anymore.

Floyd has enough power to gain respect and allow his style to take over the fight. But, outside of 130 and 135, he's never been known as a hard hitter.

And Floyd's opponents never hurt him..

Boxing at it's simplest form is the art of punching someone while avoiding being punched.

But...

<{JustBleed}>

It's called boxing, not hurting.

It's also called the Sweet Science of Bruising, The Hurt Business, and The Manly Art of Self-Defense, so depending on what moniker you choose to apply, you are going to go in a vastly different direction with your conversation. Saying "boxing" was decidedly vague and thus convenient for you, when other options were available. You could have just called it a sport and been even safer. :)

Mayweather did enough to keep his opponents away and make them afraid of counters.

And Floyd's opponents never hurt him..

Boxing at it's simplest form is the art of punching someone while avoiding being punched.

But...

<{JustBleed}>

"Never"? I mean, that's absolute language right there.

Of course he's been whacked by a hard punch, and hurt badly. It's just rare, and he either had the good fortune of a bell (end of round 3 against Maidana), or the wherewithal to avoid further punishment (hugging for dear life against Mosley), or the good graces of the referee (not awarding Judah the very obvious knockdown when his glove touched the canvas in their fight) to prevent things from getting worse for him. A combination of talent, hard-work, and luck is as rare as it is noteworthy.

If we are invoking the power of boxing aphorisms, one could respond by saying that "boxers get hit; good boxers get hit less."

So, not "never", but "rarely", yes, I agree.

It's also called the Sweet Science of Bruising, The Hurt Business, and The Manly Art of Self-Defense, so depending on what moniker you choose to apply, you are going to go in a vastly different direction with your conversation. Saying "boxing" was decidedly vague and thus convenient for you, when other options were available. You could have just called it a sport and been even safer. :)

Lol. No really, the sport is called boxing. I did not make this up.

Always, but that's just sort of the way they talk. "We gonna knock that mother fucker out" is Roger's way of saying "good afternoon."
Box that muhfuh. Box 'is ass.

Lol. No really, the sport is called boxing. I did not make this up.

No one said you did. But also, those other names are there for a reason, and though certainly more clandestine, a couple are perhaps more accurate.

Edit: To clarfiy, I assume your confusion centered around the usage of the word "vague", in which case, allow me to clarify: the other denotations for the sport are more accurate if one were to expound on its damage. Saying "it's called boxing" let's you favour one idea about the sport, the person to whom you were making a counterpoint was favouring the other idea about the sport (damage). Thus, it was convenient.

This probably didn't clarify, but it was relevant. :)

Last edited:
No one said you did. But also, those other names are there for a reason, and though certainly more clandestine, a couple are perhaps more accurate.

The other names are there because people like being poetic, right? I never hear guys say "Hey, I'm going to the manly art of self defense gym", or "did you catch that hurt business bout last night"? That's like saying baseball isn't just baseball, because it's also America's greatest pasttime. It's just poetic phrasing as far as I can tell.

The other names are there because people like being poetic, right? I never hear guys say "Hey, I'm going to the manly art of self defense gym", or "did you catch that hurt business bout last night"? That's like saying baseball isn't just baseball, because it's also America's greatest pasttime. It's just poetic phrasing as far as I can tell.

No. But you are picking those and using them out of context. After hard sparring if someone training exclaims in surprise, "Wow, that guy really hit me. Good shot!", and the other says, "It's called the hurt business for a reason", there is more applicability, than saying "It's called boxing for a reason."

Edit: not "out of context" so much as "ineffectively". Anyone can have poor diction, or clever use of diction for the purposes of avoidance, or effective use of diction to capture the moment perfectly.

"Boxing" let's one not draw attention to damage, in favour of the "chess match" (more poetry, you talked about).

And his opponents do not hurt Mayweather...

No. But you are picking those and using them out of context. After hard sparring if someone training exclaims in surprise, "Wow, that guy really hit me. Good shot!", and the other says, "It's called the hurt business for a reason", there is more applicability, than saying "It's called boxing for a reason."

It's a colloquialism. It's called the hurt business because people get hurt doing it, not because they're obligated to get hurt.

Either way, it would only prove that Floyd is very good at hurting people. How else could you be successful in and dominate a sport called the hurt business? Either the rules need to change or the name does.

It's a colloquialism. It's called the hurt business because people get hurt doing it, not because they're obligated to get hurt.

Either way, it would only prove that Floyd is very good at hurting people. How else could you be successful in and dominate a sport called the hurt business? Either the rules need to change or the name does.

As I said earlier, boxers get hit, good boxers get hit less. I think we can both readily accede to that.

Furthermore, I never said that Floyd can't hurt his opponents (lately not as much visibly, when compared to his earlier career). So that point doesn't seem relevant to what I was developing in this thread. I said that Floyd has been hurt (which is true, if rare - which I also said), and in another post I made my points about boxing having a lot of facets to its identity when someone said "It's boxing" as a way to seemingly overlook that dolling out damage is a key part of it (something you just agreed to by saying that Floyd can hurt people).

I feel like if you re-read these posts you may find yourself agreeing with me here...

As I said earlier, boxers get hit, good boxers get hit less. I think we can both readily accede to that.

Furthermore, I never said that Floyd can't hurt his opponents (lately not as much visibly, when compared to his earlier career). So that point doesn't seem relevant to what I was developing in this thread. I said that Floyd has been hurt (which is true, if rare - which I also said), and in another post I made my points about boxing having a lot of facets to its identity when someone said "It's boxing" as a way to seemingly overlook that dolling out damage is a key part of it (something you just agreed to by saying that Floyd can hurt people).

I feel like if you re-read these posts you may find yourself agreeing with me here...

Oh I was being a sarcastic ass there; what I meant was that despite not badly hurting in anyone in years, he still dominated the sport. That's why I said the rules need to change for "hurt business" to be more applicable than "boxing".

Oh I was being a sarcastic ass there; what I meant was that despite not badly hurting in anyone in years, he still dominated the sport. That's why I said the rules need to change for "hurt business" to be more applicable than "boxing".

That, plus "boxing" is actually the name of the sport, while "hurt business" just sounds kinda gay.

"Boxing" let's one not draw attention to damage, in favour of the "chess match" (more poetry, you talked about).

Ack phantom edits. I can't say I agree with that, anymore than I'd say calling baseball baseball puts more emphasis on fielding than batting. You say that boxing is vague, but I'd counter and say it's broad. When someone say "it's called boxing, not hurting", they're correctly pointing out that while hurting is a part of it, it's not all of it.

Back