Flow with the go

plasterdog

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLlGfdXnxxA&feature=related

Ok play the vid after about 8 minutes and you'll will here Rickson Gracies famous line "flow with the go"

I've always wanted to clear this up especially after hearing Diego Sanchez say this on The Ultimate Fighter..

Diego says "It's like Rickson Gracie says,it'snot go with the flow but flow with the go" and every now and again on here I read threads where people say flow with the go etc..

That's not what Rickson was syaing, it's just that he got the saying the wrong way round most likely because the fact that his first language is Portugese..

Sorry to spoil these words of wisdom for everyone..

You have been itching to hear those words spoken, haven't you?

You have been itching to hear those words spoken, haven't you?

I can't watch the video right now, but I've always found the differentiation b/w the 2 phrases annoying. "Go with the flow" and "flow with the go" seem pretty much interchangeable, but some people like Sanchez make it out to be some profound difference. Cause, you know, going with the flow is so yesterday...the best grapplers flow with the go. Blah.

Let's not forget that Sanchez also believes that rain storms give him strength.

I wouldn't put too much weight into anything Sanchez says being profound.

Go with the flow makes more sense to me.

Flow with the go just seems like broken english to me.

I can see some philosophical differences between the two statements. I can see people being pedantic and either saying they're NOT different, or insisting that they ARE completely different.

I guess, Going with the Flow would be like riding along in the passenger's seat. Wherever the game is headed, just go with it.

Flowing with the Go, although wonky English, sounds like a cheap and easy way to use Lee's 'Be like water'. Whatever happens, stay fluid, keep flowing.

... Or some shit. :icon_chee

This made me smile

I also chalked it up to broken English when I heard it at the time, but the two sayings are definitely not interchangeable in my mind.

Call it a trendy grappler saying if you wish, but "Flow with the go" implies more leading than following, IMO.

Diego says "It's like Rickson Gracie says,it'snot go with the flow but flow with the go" and every now and again on here I read threads where people say flow with the go etc..

That's not what Rickson was syaing, it's just that he got the saying the wrong way round most likely because the fact that his first language is Portugese..

I'm *pretty* sure that's not exactly how Diego framed it. I think Diego's words were "its like Rickson Gracie said...if there's no go w/ the flow, then flow w/ the go". The point Diego was making (and Rickson too I'm sure) was that if the opponent isn't giving you an opening for a sub or way to advance your position ("go w/ the flow") then start getting aggressive and just make your own opening ("flow w/ the go").

It all depends on how you interpret it, they mean the same thing but you could add your own meaning.

a nine in time saves stitch
step on a back break your mother's crack
if at first you don't try, succeed succeed succeed again.
a doctor a day keeps the apple away

:icon_cheelmao:icon_chee

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I just noticed the quote on Anaconda's sig in another thread and did a google search. To my surprise, what I thought was an awesome philosophy on grappling was just an accidental word slip.

I saw the quote somewhere a while ago and fell in love with it. In fact I think about it all the time. I think of the quote saying you must always be ready to transition to something else. Go with the flow, implies letting someone else dictate your roll.

Even though it was just bad english...it should be incorporated in every grappler's mentality.

Brazilian wisdom:

"The knee is the elbow of your lower body."
"Use your left foot...I mean your right hand...I mean his right elbow..."
"You don't have to, but it's like not an option."
"It's my party, so I am going to tell how loud is the music."

Back