Flow Kimonos Air Review

visualized

White Belt
Reaction score
I train in Arizona and it's getting hot. I wanted a lightweight gi for summer and love how my Flow Classic fits so I contacted them about when they would be getting their lightweight gi in stock. Jon had a production model on hand and sent it to me at a slight discount. Here is part of the review.

The Air is their lightest gi and was supposed to be around 350gms pearl weave. Jon the owner said that it's more like a 425gms. Either way this is a light gi. It is not a "stand up on it's own" type. In fact you could fold it up and put it in a drawer instead of having to hang it up. The material is a nice material that is not too scratchy or rough on the outside.

I am 5'8" and 170lbs with a slight muscular build. The A2 fits great. It is tight in the shoulders but once I am rolling with it there are no issues. The sleeves were a little shorter than I would like but have not been a problem.

The gi has all the standard features with triple stitching, etc. The collar is almost exactly the same as my Gameness Pearl. The fit of the top is very close to that of the Gameness. I like the Flow Air better as it has a shorter skirt. I have found that the long skirt gets in the way. Score one for the Air.
2014-05-07_13.07.46_1024x1024.jpg

(I don't have a way to post other pictures- this is from their web site)
The pants are 9oz cotton and very soft also. They have 6 belt loops and a bungee cord. They have padding in the knees but it is thinner than other gi's as this is designed as a lightweight.

The more I wear it the more I like it. It is durable and more breathable than my other gi's. Will be great for hot weather or just every day use. If you are looking for something light you could not go wrong. Also they have great customer service.

For a 3 page detailed review with pictures please check out their website link below. FYI I have no affiliation with Flow I just did a review for them.
http://flowkimonos.com/blogs/news/14035469-air-series-review

Thanks for the review, hadn't even heard of this brand until your thread. :D

I like how Flow Kimonos are trying to differentiate themselves from the rest in the bjj gi market, but just wish they didn't use the Oda family crest (mon) as their logo.

Thats a nice looking Gi, I may try one in the future.

I like how Flow Kimonos are trying to differentiate themselves from the rest in the bjj gi market, but just wish they didn't use the Oda family crest (mon) as their logo.

Would you prefer a different crest? Maybe Takeda diamonds or Sanada circles? :icon_chee

Would you prefer a different crest? Maybe Takeda diamonds or Sanada circles? :icon_chee

haha good one. It's just out of respect kind of thing. I'm sure you have a Tokugawa leaf mon tattoo somewhere on your skin :icon_chee

haha good one. It's just out of respect kind of thing. I'm sure you have a Tokugawa leaf mon tattoo somewhere on your skin :icon_chee

I would if not for the fact that I want to enjoy onsen time hassle-free. :icon_lol:

I was in contact with Jonathan from Flow the last couple of days, and ordered one yesterday. He was very helpful.
I've been eyeballing Flow's gis for quite a while, and this seemed like a good one to jump on. I'll report here after I get it :)

I was in contact with Jonathan from Flow the last couple of days, and ordered one yesterday. He was very helpful.
I've been eyeballing Flow's gis for quite a while, and this seemed like a good one to jump on. I'll report here after I get it :)

Nice, lookin' forward to it! :D

First impressions are pretty good. After one cold wash and air dry, it is about a perfect fit (A2). I'm 5'8.5", 165lbs, athletic build with short arms and legs. I read that this gi has short arms, and I was hoping for that. They would probably be too short for anyone with long arms, but it's perfect for me. It's light and airy, and a nice, simple aesthetic.

The pants are nice as well, but the thickness (or lack thereof) concerns me. They feel comfy like pajamas, and they are light and airy as well. Time will tell if they hold up.

I wore it last night for a class, and it was a pleasure to wear. I only flow rolled, so I am not sure how much it stretches, but I'll report back after some more time.

My only problem so far is that my wife really likes/wants it :)

First impressions are pretty good. After one cold wash and air dry, it is about a perfect fit (A2). I'm 5'8.5", 165lbs, athletic build with short arms and legs. I read that this gi has short arms, and I was hoping for that. They would probably be too short for anyone with long arms, but it's perfect for me. It's light and airy, and a nice, simple aesthetic.

The pants are nice as well, but the thickness (or lack thereof) concerns me. They feel comfy like pajamas, and they are light and airy as well. Time will tell if they hold up.

I wore it last night for a class, and it was a pleasure to wear. I only flow rolled, so I am not sure how much it stretches, but I'll report back after some more time.

My only problem so far is that my wife really likes/wants it :)

Thanks for the follow-up, especially the part about the sleeves on long-armed folks. Orangutans like me will now steer clear thanks to you! :icon_chee

Flow Kimonos Has A2L for the tall and lanky I'm 6' and 160 and Flow A2L is the best fitting Gi i've ever owned. They also have A2H for those that are more muscular or husky. I can promise you Flow Kimonos as sizes for the anyone. A1 A1L A1H, A2 A2L A2H, A3 A3L A3H, and A4. I'm sorta a gi junkie. Flow Kimonos is the only place I ever purchased more than one Gi from actually own three of their Gi. Been rolling in there Hemp Series for 8 months now and love it.

Back