Law Florida Republicans: "Sexually harassing teens in the workplace is ok"

Sinister

Doctor of Doom
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty funny how pretty much every "omg da kidz!!" Red State are working very hard to roll back child labor protections. However this should jump out in the land of "don't discuss anything sexual in schools"...Florida Democrat Angie Nixon proposed an Amendment that would create a mechanism for accountability for workplace sexual harassment of minors which included notifying the parents of any incident. Every Republican voted against it:

"Six amendments proposed by Democrats, including language requiring businesses that employ 16- and 17-year-olds to maintain a record of workplace sexual harassment incidents and provide that to their parents, were shot down by the subcommittee’s Republican majority."

Florida, where your school is legally required to tell you if your kid says they might be gay or trans, but if their boss is groping them at their after school job, you don't need to know all that.

Pretty funny how pretty much every "omg da kidz!!" Red State are working very hard to roll back child labor protections. However this should jump out in the land of "don't discuss anything sexual in schools"...Florida Democrat Angie Nixon proposed an Amendment that would create a mechanism for accountability for workplace sexual harassment of minors which included notifying the parents of any incident. Every Republican voted against it:

"Six amendments proposed by Democrats, including language requiring businesses that employ 16- and 17-year-olds to maintain a record of workplace sexual harassment incidents and provide that to their parents, were shot down by the subcommittee’s Republican majority."

Florida, where your school is legally required to tell you if your kid says they might be gay or trans, but if their boss is groping them at their after school job, you don't need to know all that.
Meh. Do the I thought this America thing

Wrong account Queen B/Allosaurus Fragilis. Try again

and btw, NO ONE said this was "ok" as indicated by your thread title.

You should watch the hearing. When Nixon laid out exactly WHY this amendment was proposed, and what the protections were to create, every Republican when asked if they were in favor of these protections said "nay." The message is clear, they dont want accountability mechanisms for teens harrassed in the workplace.

Your title is in quotes. Who are you quoting?

Florida Republicans who said "nay" to sexual harassment protections for minors in the workplace.

That being said this is called a sneer quote. It's not meant to be exact words.

Last edited:
I think if you sexually harrass a teen in Florida, you still get arrested even without this bill

And police keeps a record every time someone files a sexual harrassment claim

So this thing is redundant

So they want all private businesses that employs 16-17 year olds to disclose all prior history of sexual harassment to every 16-17 year olds parents that they hire?

That seems a bit much.

If a parent cares, they can seek that information on their own right? Don’t Sunshine State Laws make all of that information publicly available?

Bull$hit thread.​

Quotation marks... Mark A Quote.

F'n "sneer quote" shows no integrity by any PoS using that made up term.

Sorry reading anything nuanced triggers you so hard:

"Scare quotes (also called shudder quotes,sneer quotes, and quibble marks) are quotation marks that writers place around a word or phrase to signal that they are using it in an ironic, referential, or otherwise non-standard sense. Scare quotes may indicate that the author is using someone else's term, similar to preceding a phrase with the expression "so-called"; they may imply skepticism or disagreement, belief that the words are misused, or that the writer intends a meaning opposite to the words enclosed in quotes."

But good to see how many of you will engage with anything other than Republicans voting down sexual harassment protections for minors who work, in an article where they also said they're "not children" (direct quote) because they work.

So they want all private businesses that employs 16-17 year olds to disclose all prior history of sexual harassment to every 16-17 year olds parents that they hire?

That seems a bit much.

If a parent cares, they can seek that information on their own right? Don’t Sunshine State Laws make all of that information publicly available?

I don't think Florida Law requires that, in the debate section given for the amendment no one brought that up as a reason for the law not to exist. And if I'm a parent with a teenager working for a private company, I'd think it pertinent for the company who employs my kid to let me know if they had a history of sexual harassment going on there.

Not "triggered" - just calling attention to a scumbag covering up an intentional lie.

Nah, you were triggered.

Voting records dont lie. Republicans voted against workplace protections against minors. They don't give a sh*t about minors being sexually harassed in a setting that isnt politically favorable to them. And lol@you coming in here to be wrong about ways quotation marks can or can't be used while calling me a scumbag.

I don't think Florida Law requires that, in the debate section given for the amendment no one brought that up as a reason for the law not to exist. And if I'm a parent with a teenager working for a private company, I'd think it pertinent for the company who employs my kid to let me know if they had a history of sexual harassment going on there.

Arrest records are publicly available in Florida, if a parent really cares, they can do their own research.

Maybe you know.. does a law like this exist anywhere else in the country?

Arrest records are publicly available in Florida, if a parent really cares, they can do their own research.

Maybe you know.. does a law like this exist anywhere else in the country?

The point is Florida has no issue passing more restrictive legislation even on speech in the school system, yet when it comes to telling parents if a private workplace has a History of sexual harassment they're on their own? Either they care about protecting kids or they don't and they're just chasing political clout.

BTW the legislation being forwarded that weakens their child labor protections on the whole was written by a Think Tank. Its not even anything the Legislators thought of themselves. Seems pretty inarguable that if corporations dont want kids protected, it doesnt happen. Or perhaps Florida Dems didnt throw "gay/trans" in there enough

The point is Florida has no issue passing more restrictive legislation even on speech in the school system, yet when it comes to telling parents if a private workplace has a History of sexual harassment they're on their own? Either they care about protecting kids or they don't and they're just chasing political clout.

BTW the legislation being forwarded that weakens their child labor protections on the whole was written by a Think Tank. Its not even anything the Legislators thought of themselves. Seems pretty inarguable that if corporations dont want kids protected, it doesnt happen. Or perhaps Florida Dems didnt throw "gay/trans" in there enough

There is a difference between public school systems and private businesses. It isn’t compulsory to have your kid get a job at 16.

One could argue that the law being written and proposed by Democrats is in itself “chasing political clout”. Basically, propose a law that oversteps the reach of government into private businesses, that isn’t on the books anywhere else in the country, in order to “gotcha” Republicans with the exact arguments you are making.

You are also neglecting to acknowledge that this was VOTED ON by ELECTED OFFICIALS that were ELECTED BY THE PEOPLE OF FLORIDA to represent them.

If you can find a similar law anywhere in the country, let me know. I’m not even a conservative, this just seems like an overreach.

Back