Florian vs. Maynard

ijustwannasurf

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Two grapplers, two styles.
Hopefully we see a finish- back take to RNC or wrassle/smash to TKO.
FYI, I took Maynard in my parlay.

Discuss.

Discuss.

Should be a great fight. Kenny's wrestling has looked pretty legit lately, but Maynard is a monster who will not be outwrestled at 155lbs.

I think it comes down to the standup game to be honest. Kenny is pretty elusive and uses great angles. If it goes to the ground i think it will be brutal elbows from the bottom that bloody Gray up.

I think Florian has this one in the bag with his striking.

Kenny has showed some amazing striking skills. I say he takes this even though I would like to see Maynard vs Penn even though I'm cheering for Frankie.

bad match-up for Maynard...

How so? I would think someone like Diaz would be a worse matchup. Florian isn't really known for having a dangerous guard in regards to subs.

I could see Maynard getting the takedown and being relatively safe from subs in Kenny's guard.

How so? I would think someone like Diaz would be a worse matchup. Florian isn't really known for having a dangerous guard in regards to subs.

I could see Maynard getting the takedown and being relatively safe from subs in Kenny's guard.

He's a legit BB. How often do we see someone in his guard?

He's a legit BB. How often do we see someone in his guard?

this. kenny was competing in bjj way before TUF.

Just like anderson's bjj sucked and he got a fake bb from nog, and then Triangle.

I just watched maynard vs diaz again yesterday and I think maynard would be the favorite over diaz now because diaz has serious problems with wrestlers.

but would definitely be rooting for nick.

Also think maynard has been training a decent amount of bjj/nogi since tuf.

Discuss.

I wanna go on record to say Maynard is not TKOing shit. Especially not Florian. If Gray wins, it's by decision, like always. For the record, I like Gray. I think this is the toughest fight on the main card to call. Wrestling is Florian's weakest area, but he's training with GSP for this fight. I think that may give him the ability to defend the takedown. If he can do that, he should win, as he's a far better striker. I wouldn't wanna bet on this one though.

this. kenny was competing in bjj way before TUF.

Just like anderson's bjj sucked and he got a fake bb from nog, and then Triangle.

I just watched maynard vs diaz again yesterday and I think maynard would be the favorite over diaz now because diaz has serious problems with wrestlers.

but would definitely be rooting for nick.

Also think maynard has been training a decent amount of bjj/nogi since tuf.

Wait what? Which Maynard/Diaz fight did you watch? 1 or 2? The first time Maynard got the Guillotine, the 2nd time he won a split decision and lost the title shot because of the performance.

You say you'd be rooting for Nick, so does that mean you're talking a Nick Diaz/Maynard fight where Maynard would be the favorite? If so, i know I seem like I'm hatin' on Gray here but Nick Diaz is a terrible match for Gray.

Maynard I'm sure has trained a lot of submission grappling, but the only time I have ever seen him go for a sub in an MMA fight was against Roger Huerta where he did a failed Kimura that would have broken most people's arms in half.

Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Gray Maynard's Kimura + Head Scissors on Roger Huerta at UFN 19 - Bloody Elbow

Look at that angle! If he didn't hang onto the leg-head scissors he would probably have gotten it.

i think maynard is gonna out-muscle kenny, I say 3 round TKO or UD.

I like both fighters, and while I think if Kenny can keep it on the feet he'll win, nobody has been able to do that against Gray yet. Earlier I said this was a hard fight to call, and it is. But I'm gonna say Gray Maynard by UD.

If Kenny wins I won't be surprised either. This one is a toss up.

On a LW division note, if Gray wins and Frankie wins, and they setup a rematch for the title, Gray is gonna moonwalk right into the 155 LW title. Frankie is not ever gonna beat Gray Maynard. Too much of a style problem.

EDIT: I love Gray's little step-over thing he always does after a big slam.

I wanna go on record to say Maynard is not TKOing shit. Especially not Florian. If Gray wins, it's by decision, like always. For the record, I like Gray. I think this is the toughest fight on the main card to call. Wrestling is Florian's weakest area, but he's training with GSP for this fight. I think that may give him the ability to defend the takedown. If he can do that, he should win, as he's a far better striker. I wouldn't wanna bet on this one though.

Agreed about the GSP part. Learning TD defense with GSP is going to be exactly what he needs for this fight (though he wouldn't necessarily be at a disadvantage there). What people are forgetting is that Florian has very good standup ability, and usually softens people up on the feet before subbing them. That is to say, it's not just his BJJ that puts them away, the MT sets them up (Clay Guida for instance).

The bottom line here is the Florian is the best lightweight in the world who isn't BJ Penn. He is a fantastically complete fighter, moreso than just about any other in the division (again, excepting Penn). He takes this fight, and it's not unlikely he chooses where (by whether or not he lets Maynard take him down).

Florian by Tornado DDT, just the way Emerson did it.

Back