Flexibility

machine85

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm just starting out doing MMA and looking to increase my flexibility throughout my whole body. I am mainly looking to increase my hamstring/groin flexibility for high kicks as I'm very stiff at the moment. I used to do kickboxing years ago but through just playing football and lifting weights my flexibility has gone!

I was considering doing Fitness/Sport Yoga, but may just do my own daily routine. But I need some help with the best exercises to do. I have the following general rules to stick by:

- Perform the stretches AFTER a workout when the muscles are warm
- Hold each stretch for 30-60 seconds (dont bounce)

Have any of you had any difficulty with flexibility? Do you have any recommendations?

Look up Dynamic stretches and stretching like leg swings.They are more applicable and practical to martial artist for high kicking.They make for a great warm up then you go into static stretches.

I know people are gonna jump all over this, but I did yoga for abit and I found it took power off my kicks. I felt like all the muscles in my legs and hips were loose and I couldn't get the snap I wanted.
I do the leg swings and stretches like Stinko says and everything feels just flexible enough. Discp put up a video of a guy having his leg out and held, as he turned his hip over and back. That works great for me.

I know people are gonna jump all over this, but I did yoga for abit and I found it took power off my kicks. I felt like all the muscles in my legs and hips were loose and I couldn't get the snap I wanted.
I do the leg swings and stretches like Stinko says and everything feels just flexible enough. Discp put up a video of a guy having his leg out and held, as he turned his hip over and back. That works great for me.

I don't think you are wrong. I've heard that flexibility past a certain point interferes with muscle contractions.

Flexibility isn't something you can safely increase past a certain point, but you can gain functional ROM beyond what you think you can from static stretches. I can wake up and kick head high without a problem, even though I have to warm up to touch my toes, despite years of strength and flex training.

To the OP: I think as a kicker, the most important exercise is practicing kicking slowly, as the stretch, without warming up. Just go through the range of motions 20-30 times each leg as slow as you can, as far as you can without pulling something. It will increase your cold kicking, and therefor your warmed up kicking ROM, by a lot.

Stretching scientifically - Thomas Kurz

worth the buy

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll look into it further. Just want to increase my flexibility reasonably quickly (while avoiding injury, which would put me back to square 1). I'll probably be looking to do stretches twice a day and really put effort into it.

However does anyone have a specific routine they follow to post up?

Stretch tiil you feel the pull and stay there,if you feel pain you went too far. Aim for good basic flexibility not the ability to do a full split between 2 chairs. I'm 5'7 and would not expect myself to kick someone 6'0 in the face. If I can get their solar plexus I'm good. I hold for about 20 seconds,ease up for about 5 sec., and repeat the stretch about 4 times.

Stretching scientifically - Thomas Kurz

worth the buy

Girlfriend bought me the book for Christmas. Highly recommend it!

I have to be one of the most inflexible people I have ever met... seriously.
The routine he lays out in the book is extremely efficient and effective...

Like another poster said, google dynamic stretches and isometric stretches.

The traditional/classical way of stretching for martial arts is more than adequate to improve flexibility - it's a tried & tested way to improve flexiblity - it worked for me as well as many others - plus it should be remembered that flexiblity takes time - rushing does more harm than good.

I hate the idea of post trainning stretch.
If you have tear or ematoma you are in for a treat adding to your recovery time.

Always do it after cardio (or warm up) before trainning.

It probably will short term but long term, you'll develop easier muscle movement and speed. I think its shorter muscle fibres are generally stronger - what weights help develop.
Longer muscle fibres develop better economy of motion.
By being flexible you should be able to train more and have less injuries. I needed stretching when i first started cause my muscle memory was crap. After improving flexiblity somewhat, i retained the moves that much easier.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll look into it further. Just want to increase my flexibility reasonably quickly (while avoiding injury, which would put me back to square 1). I'll probably be looking to do stretches twice a day and really put effort into it.

However does anyone have a specific routine they follow to post up?

You can do dynamic ones where you get into your stance and just raise your leg straight up like a front kick (just without bending the knee obviously), or you can lean against a wall and do it side to side.

Static, some stretches you can do alone or with a partner. There's the simple standing toe touches for starters, or you can sit and lean forward.

You can just sit and have your legs out and spread them in front of you as wide as you can, then lean down and forward as far as you can go. With a partner he/she can put their feet inside your ankles to push your feet out wider, and grab your wrists and pull you forward simultaneously.

Another good one is where you have your back to the wall, then put your calf up on someone's shoulder, then just have them slowly stand up, raising your leg with them.

Of course doing simple splits can work, and then you can do one sided ones where one leg is bent, and you have your weight down on that side, and the other foot is straight and toes pointed up. I like that one for hamstrings.

Back