Flat Mitts

nomilkforsanta

Nathan
@Brown
Reaction score
I have not used flat "traditional" mitts in a very long time, at least 10 years. I felt the curved to be more comfortable for long periods of time and easier to catch sloppy punches.

I was wondering why do some trainers use the flat mitts still? Is it tradition, or is there something they can offer that the curved will not allow.

repm_v1.jpg

so far my favorite are air mitts, they are not traditional like the reyes you linked but they are indeed flat. They take almost ALL of the edge off shots and create an awesome pop when the punch lands correctly.

Yeah, like strato, the only flat mitts I use are air mitts. I'm getting older, and if I'm working mitts with a lot of guys in a row or some of the big boys, my elbows thank me when I toss on some air mitts.

Like you, I haven't used traditional flat mitts in years. No intentions of going back.

Yeah to be honest I don't see any advantage in using old school mitts other than to say you are old school. But like CS says and the man is wise btw... My freaking elbows cant take that abuse anymore.

Air mitts are the way to go, I used to be a fan of curved, but now its all about air.

What about curved air mitts?! WHAT?! YEAH!

idea may be closer to realization than you think...

I was just really surprised that ringside made a Reyes "traditional" clone, because, i did not think there was any demand for them.

Curved mitts for me. I love the adidas ones title had. I just feel so fluid, my dedicated mitt men seem to enjoy them too. I put in about 20 rounds of work in with them. No complaints

I use the adidas air mitts, they are chunky but I feel no backlash when using them

how do those perform, they are about an inch less chunky but they have gel correct?

Sometimes the flat mitts help the punchers form. A curved mitt or an air mitt essentially creates a catchers mitt that makes it easier for the puncher to make a good connection. With a flat mitt you can really tell if a guy is pushing through his punches because he'll glance off of the edges more. Defintely harder to give your jab a solid pop on a flat mitt. It takes greater accuracy.

Having said that, does the benefit outweigh the negative of going home and having to ice your elbows and shoulders? Not for me. I'll stick with my curved and air mitts as well.

how do those perform, they are about an inch less chunky but they have gel correct?

yup, I like them. I have to admit though, they have only really been used with my wife, who is not a heavy hitter, lol. However her shots are far from accurate and I have never felt anything even with the not so well placed shots, well other than when she has missed the mitt completely and hit me, but yeah, lol

yup, I like them. I have to admit though, they have only really been used with my wife, who is not a heavy hitter, lol. However her shots are far from accurate and I have never felt anything even with the not so well placed shots, well other than when she has missed the mitt completely and hit me, but yeah, lol

Lol hits are still hits IMO. Some females can really bang. Like i said in the past I will never spar a female but I've held mitts for some and been surprised of the punching power.

Sometimes the flat mitts help the punchers form. A curved mitt or an air mitt essentially creates a catchers mitt that makes it easier for the puncher to make a good connection. With a flat mitt you can really tell if a guy is pushing through his punches because he'll glance off of the edges more. Defintely harder to give your jab a solid pop on a flat mitt. It takes greater accuracy.

Having said that, does the benefit outweigh the negative of going home and having to ice your elbows and shoulders? Not for me. I'll stick with my curved and air mitts as well.

Interesting, would you say punching flat mitts is hard as punching flat thai pads? One of people I hold for 4times a week for an hour has a problem with accuracy on the jab when I use thai pads and not curved mitts.

She is 120lbs so I would not mind holding flat mitts if they give her better feedback.

Interesting, would you say punching flat mitts is hard as punching flat thai pads? One of people I hold for 4times a week for an hour has a problem with accuracy on the jab when I use thai pads and not curved mitts.

She is 120lbs so I would not mind holding flat mitts if they give her better feedback.

Similar concept but the mitts would obviously be a little more difficult obviously due to the smaller surface area. With the flat mitts you can really feel when its a clean hit and it hits the center of the pad or if they are hitting the edges..

Back