Flag behind Helio?

Pirate

White Belt
Reaction score
where can I find an image of the flag? and anyone know what that flag is?

"Federacao de Jiu-Jitsu da Guanabara" is what it says on the flag, googled and tried looking for it and found nothing.

Thanks in advance.

144.jpg

Last edited:
Guanabara used to be a brazilian state that comprised the city of Rio. This was probably taken between 1960 and 1975. It basically means BJJ Federation of Guanabara.

Is it an old flag for Guanabara? 'cause the one the internet is blue.

Did they created their own flag?

125pxbandeiraguanabara.jpg

Here is a pic of the Guanabara state flag. Has nothing do with BJJ federation flag.

Can someone please give me a little background on the federation? what is their difference with IBJJF?

Ok, you know that there are at least 5 differents federations of JJ in Brasil.

Helio and his brother started that one.

and Carlos Gracie Jnr started his own which is called IBJJF!

Just politics.

where can I find an image of the flag? and anyone know what that flag is?

"Federacao de Jiu-Jitsu da Guanabara" is what it says on the flag, googled and tried looking for it and found nothing.

Thanks in advance.

144.jpg

It is the first Jiu-Jitsu Federations in Brazil. This is from an article written by Pedro Pedreira titled Corpo Quatro. It might answer your question about this federation.

[In 1967, Alvaro, Helio, Jo

Robson is president of the FJJ Rio iirc.

As for 5 federations, I was searching around when trying to dig out the list of 9th dans (since some federations bestow the senior degree promotions themselves) and found:

*42 Brazilian State Federations (some states have multiple BJJ federations, presumably aligning to either the CBJJ or CBJJO/CBJJE - the federations aligned to the latter probably have esportivo or olimpico in their name)
*4 other Brazilian federations (CBJJ (aka IBJJF), the now defunct CBJJO, the CBJJE and the LBJJ)

picture2j.png

I realize this is a total thread necro...But, I was searching around on the internet for a decent version of this Helio pic to edit, and stumbled upon this link. I figured I would share the edited photo in case anyone wanted it:

helio3.jpg

Back