Fitting a MouthGuard Over Braces?

shredfighter1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I seem to be having some trouble! I can't EVER get a mouthguard to work, I have braces. They never fit, and if I try to make them fit by boiling an such, they get hacked up pretty bad! So, can anyone here help me out on how to get these to work with my braces? Thanks!:)

You should ask your orthodontist about mouthguards for sports.

Contact one of the custom mouth guard people around here and see what they say. I back Scott at Customguards.net, but there are a couple reputable custom makers on the forum. Search the first few pages of the review threads and you'll find people raving about them.

Try these :

Shock Doctor :: Products :: Mouthguards :: Braces Mouthguard

h_4100A.jpg

They are made for people who have braces.

When I had braces my dentist said that I would be retarded if I was in position of getting punched in my teeth because they are 'relaxed' and in process of moving constantly. She said I would probably loose most of the teeth with no effort.

So be careful.

When I had braces my dentist said that I would be retarded if I was in position of getting punched in my teeth because they are 'relaxed' and in process of moving constantly. She said I would probably loose most of the teeth with no effort.

So be careful.

Haha! Yeah, I HATE having braces! I never told my dentist about fighting! It seems no matter what, you ALWAYS get the inside of your mouth cut up!

Yeah, I got a PM from someone saying to buy one of these! I think I may buy one, but I just remembered my braces are coming off on the 29th, actually, IF I where my gumbands! So, maybe I should just take a 2 week break off the mma, or just go to submission wrestling and BJJ classes until there off?

I think that's the best idea. Just hold off for a couple of weeks and you'll be able to get any regular mouthguard, boil-n-bite or custom if you can afford one, that you prefer. The point of a mouthguard is to protect your teeth, so why risk injuring them unecessarily when you're 2 weeks away from having your braces removed? Just wait and get a good mouthguard when they're out.

I think that's the best idea. Just hold off for a couple of weeks and you'll be able to get any regular mouthguard, boil-n-bite or custom if you can afford one, that you prefer. The point of a mouthguard is to protect your teeth, so why risk injuring them unecessarily when you're 2 weeks away from having your braces removed? Just wait and get a good mouthguard when they're out.

Yeah, thank you for your advice!:) I think that's what I'll do! Cause, 2 years worth of these things, I definately DO NOT want one hit to have to make them be on any longer! So, I'll just take it easy for 2 weeks!

In order to get a mouth guard for braces the center wire has to be removed. This will allow the impression to go around the brackets in the mouth instead of catching on the wire. If you want to do this you have to have the ortho take out the wire then take the impression unfortunately this can be costly depending on the clinician. Once you do this there is no problem getting a custom guard. If you have questions let me know.

Agreed. Just hold off the sparring but contunue training :icon_chee !

the is one of the circumstances where it is truly better to be safe than sorry, not to mention your teeth are moving, how much depends on how your teeth were before you began, meaning, even if you purchased a guard now it would most likely not fit in 30-45 days...

it doesn't happen often, but I recommend you not buy a guard, at least until your teeth are done shifting and have had a chance to recover.

Back