fish oil vs. flax oil

slayer36

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i currently take flax oil to supplement my diet.

would ifish oil be more beneficial? if so, why?

thanks in advance.

Hmmm...usually Flax is marketed more for its dietary fat.

You should be taking an Omega-3 only pill.

What is the fat profile on your flax supplement?

total fat.......... 11grams
polyunsaturated...... 8 g
omega 3............ 6,200 mg
omega 6.......... 1810 mg

monunsaturated fat 2 g
omega 9........2040 mg

slayer36 said:
total fat.......... 11grams
polyunsaturated...... 8 g
omega 3............ 6,200 mg
omega 6.......... 1810 mg

monunsaturated fat 2 g
omega 9........2040 mg

Yeah, that looks good.

The whole point of taking an EFA pill is to raise your total daily intake of Omega-3 fats to Omega 6 & 9 fats to a 1:3 ratio. The last time I checked, Americans averaged between 1:6 and 1:20.

Other than that, the only difference of note I can discern is that flax has some fiber (which aids in digestion). That and it comes from the vegetable kingdom, not the animal kingdom.

My recommendation is to go with a fish oil pill that is purely Omega-3's. It's much too difficult otherwise to achieve the very purpose of taking an EFA supplement and actually ingest enough Omega-3's to optimize your ratio. The fiber, protein, and carbohydrates in flax seems unnecessary for this single supplement (unless you really need the fiber). Personally, I use flax and MCT in my MRP formulas. For my EFA, I use the "NOW Omega 3 1000mg" and get it from DPS Nutrition. It's $7 for 200 capsules: 1000mg of EPA and DHA (both Omega-3's) in each. That's the best value I could find.

There's no reason why you can't use both.

Another difference is Flaxseed Oil is rich in alpha-linolenic acid, as for fish oils are high in EPA and DHA.

Edit: question answered in another post.

Fish have heavy metals and other bad stuff in them. I'd think that fish oil pills might also. So...I take flax seed oil for that reason.

For some reason men tend to use the animal source more efficiently, women seem to process the plant source a little better. The same with protein sources.

Bubble Boy said:
Fish have heavy metals and other bad stuff in them. I'd think that fish oil pills might also. So...I take flax seed oil for that reason.
The heavy metals, including Mercury, don't transfer to the fish oil.

aside form the arguable cons for the fish oil, without reading through pages upon pages of posts can anyone explain any other major nutritional differences between the 2?

if im right the general purpose of both is to provide EFA's & omegas.....do they just provide both in different amounts? whats the deal?

I have no experience with the fish oil but becareful with the flax seed I believe I was to the point of poisoning myself I was feeling so shity while I was taking it. I don't know how true it is what chad says but it sounds right too me from my experience, stick with the fish leave the flax for the ladies.

Back