First week of BBJ. HELP!!!!

Nothing wrong with being proud of yourself if you hit a sweep or sub, but youre looking at it as a contest and it isnt. Work your technique, help the guys youre rolling with, be safe and youll be great one day. The blue belt will come when youre ready if you stick with it, stop thinking about it and just roll.

Work your technique, help the guys youre rolling with, be safe and youll be great one day.

I wish more people had this type of mentality.

I was watching white & blue belts doing positional rolling yesterday in the fundamentals class, and most of them were turning simple drills into all out wars. I was pretty sad seeing this but what can you do they're young and hyper.

Obviously stop smoking and I find that if you just accept that your going to get beat by more experienced guys and use technique rather than all strength you'll naturally improve faster.

It took me a long time to get past the winning/losing mentality, personally, and I still get caught up in that when I'm having a particularly off day, but I will say this:

I've learned more rolling with people from the "losses" than I have from the "wins". Every time you get tapped you can look at the situation, figure out what you did or did not do, and use that experience to improve your game. Wins/losses are irrelevant outside of competition, and some say it's irrelevant until you're a black belt.

You may want to slow down if you tend to do a lot of something then lose interest.
This is a really good post. My first time doing something I didn't really like in order to get better (e.g. weight lifting), the guy I went to the gym with emphasized going just a couple times a week to begin with. Previously, I had thought "How do I do this perfectly? How do I hit everything? I'll need to lift every day to hit my goals!" and then quit after a few days to a week or so. End result - I lifted weights for a year and a half, putting on a lot of muscle and getting a lot stronger.

Starting out slow means that it starts out enjoyable, and that by the time you start to get addicted to the inevitable improvement, you're hooked.

That being said, I did BJJ years after I first did weight lifting, and that schedule was about 3 days a week BJJ, 3 days a week boxing and 2 days a week wrestling (all in all 5 days a week of martial arts) for 6 months. I loved it. Learning to wrestle at the same time as do BJJ was good, it meant that I integrated a lot of the skills from both into the one package. I would have kept going after the first year, but kids happen.

Back