First Tourney.... Results

Grant D

White Belt
Reaction score
Well just got back from the tourney, I took 4th place in novice No-gi, had four fights. (was a 16 man bracket)

Weighed in at 178 at 8am, haha I was the first to be weighed in.

1.Took the guy down, submitted him in 10 seconds with a rear naked choke.
2. Got the takedown, got side control, but then he got me in his half guard and swept me, but I started to get an anaconda choke, so I got points for that and won the match 6-4.
3. Got the takedown, then the guy stood up, and I went for another takedown, got it, but fell into a triangle choke, and tapped
4. Was really tired at this moment, I got the takedown I am told, but didnt get points for it, put the guy in my guard and went for a triangle choke but missed it and the guy passed my guard and went to side mount then to mount, I swept him from mount and worked to pass his guard, but he held me there and won on points.

With the Gi...... I lost my first match, the guy got the takedown, then got side control, then got knee on ribs/chest, grabbed my Gi and pulled me into his knee, when I heard/felt ribs crunching I very angrilly tapped (I was pissed cause its a shitty thing to tap to), but he caught me off guard before I could push his knee off so he won. I was just tired because I had just finished fighting No-gi, then had to go fight in Gi, because they mesed up the order of events.

Had a good time, but gassed to early, I had to wait about 8-9 hours to fight, so that was draining, was called on deck, then postponned another 30 minutes, so I had to warm up 3 times. I was gassed after my second no-gi match, so I gotta improve my cardio, and learn to defend from the triangle choke better. I had a damn good time, and I cant wait to improve my game so I can take 1st place in my next tourney.

congrats man, keep it up. same thing happened to me at my first tournament - i gassed after my second match. dont worry about it just train harder next time.

Congrats on your first tourney!
Just wondering was it the NAGA in georgia?
I competed in that. It was my first NAGA, but not my first tourney. I came in first no gi novice heavyweight. I had planned on doing Gi also but I was just completely outta gas after my third match. I also had to wait like 7 hours before I fought (was told I would fight around 2, did not get to til about 6!) but anyways heres how it went.

1. attempted a double leg, he stopped it and pushed me back and I just pulled guard. worked my stuff he passed my guard i got it back and eventually got a triangle choke.

2. we stood a moment then I again pulled guard after not being able to work a takedown. After a minute or so I got my 2nd triangle choke.

3. I immediately pulled guard and sunk a triangle but I had my hips on the wrong side and he eventually fought out of it. Then he almost passed it and I maintained my guard then he leaned back and I halfway attempted a hip heist but it didn't work so I jumped back and we stood and had one minute left and were tied at 2-2 and I had my hands down to my sides hoping he would shoot (I have a good sprawl) and he didn't so I shot in and got a good double leg (picked him up a couple feet in the air and slammed him) and had side control and then as I was going for a Kimura time ran out.
I won on points 6-2 (I think, I didn't see the score but I know I got 2 for the takedown and 2 for the side control.

I loved it. There were a lot of good matches. Cant wait for the next (close) NAGA. :)

Tapping to knee on belly? In competition? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

tudor_bjj said:

Theres no reason to be such an ass! He had already had 4 fights and was probably wore out from the excitement of his first tourney and then having to wait all day, that can drain you more so than multiple fights sometimes, I believe, especially after getting warm like 3 times. People like you disgust me.

tudor_bjj said:
LMAOOOO sorry but that was hilarious.

Good shit though.

CDhamil said:
Theres no reason to be such an ass! He had already had 4 fights and was probably wore out from the excitement of his first tourney and then having to wait all day, that can drain you more so than multiple fights sometimes, I believe, especially after getting warm like 3 times. People like you disgust me.
I'm really, really sorry! I'll send you some flowers! But what's next? Tapping when your opponent squeezes his legs when holding guard? Tapping from being mounted (Oh, he's so heavy, he's so heavy! Get this SOB off of me)? Tapping from exhaustion when warming up?
Don't tell me one of those losses in your sig was due to tapping from some pressure point technique!

It wasnt on knee to belly asshole, it was his knee on my floating ribs, I was gassed as hell because I had just got done with 4 no-gi fights, didnt want to fight gi, but decided to do it anyways, I'd rather go fight another day then have my ribs broken and not be able to train for a while. I am tough as hell and would never tap to that if I wasnt exausted. The guy was on my team and it was pointless to make him more tired when there was no way I could have gone on to the finals, which he won, so yes, I tapped to avoid my ribs getting broken.

CDhamil said:

Exactly, if they knew how to run the event it would have gone much better for me.

Grant D said:
It wasnt on knee to belly asshole, it was his knee on my floating ribs, I was gassed as hell because I had just got done with 4 no-gi fights, didnt want to fight gi, but decided to do it anyways, I'd rather go fight another day then have my ribs broken and not be able to train for a while. I am tough as hell and would never tap to that if I wasnt exausted. The guy was on my team and it was pointless to make him more tired when there was no way I could have gone on to the finals, which he won, so yes, I tapped to avoid my ribs getting broken.
"My ribs getting broken"? From knee on belly? Marcelo is that you? Ricco, you SOB, get off his ribs!

Grant D said:
Congrats on your tournament, but that seems kinda silly reasoning. (If the following preconditions are wrong, then please excuse me.) If you were divided into experience levels and subdivided into weight classes, and your opponent had gi matches too, then that is not an excuse to tap. A reason yes, but not an excuse.

tudor_bjj said:
I'm really, really sorry! I'll send you some flowers! But what's next? Tapping when your opponent squeezes his legs when holding guard? Tapping from being mounted (Oh, he's so heavy, he's so heavy! Get this SOB off of me)? Tapping from exhaustion when warming up?
Don't tell me one of those losses in your sig was due to tapping from some pressure point technique!

No my losses aren't from those kinds of things... 1 RNC, 1 Gi choke and 1 Neck crank.
and I can't wait for my flowers ;)

For real though, I was just saying the man had a good time in his first tourney, theres no reason for anyone to make fun of him for tapping at all. At least he had the guts to go out there (by the way I am NOT implying that you don't compete, just saying a lot of guys train and don't compete).

pe de pano tapped another black belt from knee on belly in competition...

lets see how long you can last with him on you

tudor_bjj said:
"My ribs getting broken"? From knee on belly? Marcelo is that you? Ricco, you SOB, get off his ribs!

Knee on belly= knee on belly

KNee on ribs= knee on ribs

what dont you understand

Frodo said:
Congrats on your tournament, but that seems kinda silly reasoning. (If the following preconditions are wrong, then please excuse me.) If you were divided into experience levels and subdivided into weight classes, and your opponent had gi matches too, then that is not an excuse to tap. A reason yes, but not an excuse.

Of course not an excuse to tap, I wouldnt of tapped had I been able to get his knee off of me, I was absolutely exausted. I would not tap just cause he was on my team. I dont know why this is being made such a big deal. I feel like shit for tapping to that, I have had that happen a shit load of times, knee in all sorts of fucked up places, hell I got a toenailed in my eyes and kneed in the nuts during practice and I dont stop then, so Im not a pussy. Nothing I can do about it now, cept train better cardio, and win next time.

CDhamil said:
Congrats on your first tourney!
Just wondering was it the NAGA in georgia?
I competed in that. It was my first NAGA, but not my first tourney. I came in first no gi novice heavyweight. I had planned on doing Gi also but I was just completely outta gas after my third match. I also had to wait like 7 hours before I fought (was told I would fight around 2, did not get to til about 6!) but anyways heres how it went.

1. attempted a double leg, he stopped it and pushed me back and I just pulled guard. worked my stuff he passed my guard i got it back and eventually got a triangle choke.

2. we stood a moment then I again pulled guard after not being able to work a takedown. After a minute or so I got my 2nd triangle choke.

3. I immediately pulled guard and sunk a triangle but I had my hips on the wrong side and he eventually fought out of it. Then he almost passed it and I maintained my guard then he leaned back and I halfway attempted a hip heist but it didn't work so I jumped back and we stood and had one minute left and were tied at 2-2 and I had my hands down to my sides hoping he would shoot (I have a good sprawl) and he didn't so I shot in and got a good double leg (picked him up a couple feet in the air and slammed him) and had side control and then as I was going for a Kimura time ran out.
I won on points 6-2 (I think, I didn't see the score but I know I got 2 for the takedown and 2 for the side control.

I loved it. There were a lot of good matches. Cant wait for the next (close) NAGA. :)

Yea it was Naga Georgia, It sucked cause I got there so early and didnt get to fight til 630-7, but I had a great time, I cannot wait to goto the next one, though I hope it is organized better, it was suppossed to go Novice no-gi, purple belt gi, white belt gi.....but they switched it around last minute, it went purple belt gi, novice no-gi, whie belt gi.... How long have you been training for? I have been doing it for about 3 months.

Grant D said:
Of course not an excuse to tap, I wouldnt of tapped had I been able to get his knee off of me, I was absolutely exausted. I would not tap just cause he was on my team. I dont know why this is being made such a big deal. I feel like shit for tapping to that, I have had that happen a shit load of times, knee in all sorts of fucked up places, hell I got a toenailed in my eyes and kneed in the nuts during practice and I dont stop then, so Im not a pussy. Nothing I can do about it now, cept train better cardio, and win next time.
Good attitude! Although I always stop to check nut damage... Gotta protect those! :D

the last naga in NJ fucking sucked time wise too...they also reached capacity and had to make people leave after they fought so more people could come in

Back