First Tournament

mmyers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Im enterting my first tournament. It is a No Gi grappling tournament. I have been doing jujitsu for a little over a month. Im entering at the beginner level (0-1yrs experience) at the 200+ weight division (im 252) I have a few questions as this is my first tournament. Thought I would pick the collective brains of sherdoggers.

1. I noticed in a lot of video people circle around or lock up on the feet but just walk around they are very tentative to go for a throw or takedown. This tournament starts on the feet, but I would asume I want to score a takedown right away so I can start working. Thoughts?

2. If I find myself on the bottom which submissions should I go for? Im comfortable using the Kimora , armbar, guillotine choke but I have a week before the competition and I can pick up something new pretty easily I think. I will prob just look to sweep right away though.

3.Anything else I should know or be aware of? or train in particular? (im in a structured class but im sure someone would be willing to give me a few extra pointers)(also if it matters I train in a Gi and the tourney is no gi)

Thanks in advance.

Im enterting my first tournament. It is a No Gi grappling tournament. I have been doing jujitsu for a little over a month. Im entering at the beginner level (0-1yrs experience) at the 200+ weight division (im 252) I have a few questions as this is my first tournament. Thought I would pick the collective brains of sherdoggers.

1. I noticed in a lot of video people circle around or lock up on the feet but just walk around they are very tentative to go for a throw or takedown. This tournament starts on the feet, but I would asume I want to score a takedown right away so I can start working. Thoughts?

2. If I find myself on the bottom which submissions should I go for? Im comfortable using the Kimora , armbar, guillotine choke but I have a week before the competition and I can pick up something new pretty easily I think. I will prob just look to sweep right away though.

3.Anything else I should know or be aware of? or train in particular? (im in a structured class but im sure someone would be willing to give me a few extra pointers)(also if it matters I train in a Gi and the tourney is no gi)

Thanks in advance.

1. Go for the take down if you think you have a decent shoot.
2. I'd look for sweeps more than submissions from the bottom. Unless I was down on point or almost out of time. Or if you winning by a lot.
3. Train your cardio, do some timed rounds.

Make sure you are in shape, nervousness will alwyas suck the wind out of you. Size up the guys in your division, look at their body types and assess what submissions they may be good at.

Don't try to learn anything new a week before you compete, just drill stuff you know you're comfortable with.
HAVE A GAME PLAN. If its pull guard, fight for takedowns, working from bottom, whatever- plan out some strategies that play to your strengths and keep it in your head. You'll be crazy nervous and hyped up, but if you keep the plan in your head, you'll understand what to do and where to go no matter what the situation.
And in my opinion, rolling gi makes you a way better no gi competitor. Good luck

Cardio!!

you definitely do not want to gas in the middle of your match.

Use the Marine Corps philosophy, K.I.S.S - "keep it simple, stupid".

Attack, attack, attack...stay busy. Don't sit on your back and stall. Don't underestimate your opponent, be the BJ Penn of white belts!

Armdrags...work lots and lots of armdrags! Armdrags, get the back...armdrag, get the triangle...armdrag, get the armbar!

Did i mention armdrags? DO THEM!

And most important, have fun!

Don't do armdrags if you suck at em. It's a tournament, gametime, dish out your best moves.

Best advice I can give is don't go expecting to win. Go with the idea of bettering your game. Pick a couple of moves that you are good at and work to implement them. A white belt with 1 month in isn't going to attract sponsers, so losing isn't a big deal as long as losing allows you to better your game. With that said, if you try hard and are successful in you game plan you could have success in the tournament.

Thanks alot guys. My strengths are definetly kimora from pretty much any top moutned position, I have worked it to death. Im not going expecting to win. The goal I have set for myself is to win atleast two of my matches. Its double elimination so I feel thats a reasonable goal. I have been doing 5 minute rounds in class for a month or more. Im really excited, I wouldn't say nervous but that may come closer to or on saturday.

Thanks in advance.

1. At this level be prepared for your opponent to use NOTHING but strength! When you lock up he is going to use all his fucking energy to hold you and not give anything up. (Unless he is a wrestler) So I would work on something to counter his strength (Duck under, hip toss, etc)

2. Unless you have a really nice guard I would stay away from Arm bars and triangles....unless of course he is handing the submission. If you go for an arm bar or trianlge and miss he is going to pass, and points/position are KEY in tourneys!! Work from a closed guard....go for the kimura, guillotine, hip sweep etc.

3. My advice.....DO NOT be afraid to go for things! Go into this tourney to learn, not so much trying to EEK out wins. Shoot, go for sweeps, go for locks etc. Dont be reckless but have FUN and see if what you learned will work in competition! Its hard to do this bc nobody wants to lose a match but in my last tourney I wished I went for more sweeps. I went for submissions for the guard the whole time and not so much sweeps....I wish I was more active! I regret it!

1. At this level be prepared for your opponent to use NOTHING but strength! When you lock up he is going to use all his fucking energy to hold you and not give anything up. (Unless he is a wrestler) So I would work on something to counter his strength (Duck under, hip toss, etc)

2. Unless you have a really nice guard I would stay away from Arm bars and triangles....unless of course he is handing the submission. If you go for an arm bar or trianlge and miss he is going to pass, and points/position are KEY in tourneys!! Work from a closed guard....go for the kimura, guillotine, hip sweep etc.

3. My advice.....DO NOT be afraid to go for things! Go into this tourney to learn, not so much trying to EEK out wins. Shoot, go for sweeps, go for locks etc. Dont be reckless but have FUN and see if what you learned will work in competition! Its hard to do this bc nobody wants to lose a match but in my last tourney I wished I went for more sweeps. I went for submissions for the guard the whole time and not so much sweeps....I wish I was more active! I regret it!

Thanks again. Your right about the armbars/triangles, I really should just sweep.

Back