First Tournament Video!

TipFearSys

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. In another post of mine, I mentioned that I'd be attending the Bud World Cup, last Saturday. It was my first tournament. I made the mistake of not eating all day, because I figured my division would be coming up anytime. I didn't realize how long the tournament would last. I was the very last prelim match of the day. I drew a 4 stripe white belt that was about 6 inches shorter than me and freakin strong as a bull. He couldn't submit me, but def. won on points. I'm fairly happy considering I've been taking about 7 months now, but only twice a week. I gassed very quickly, but I believe most of that was due to the nothing to eat or drink for 8hrs. As soon as I lost guard, I just didn't have anything in the tank, and I'm usually VERY well conditioned. I'm extremely glad I competed, even though I lost. I have learned so many things from stepping out there on the mat, and I feel I'll be much better prepared next tournament, as long as I pay attention to some things I noticed:

1. MUST eat. I'm pretty sure this is why I gassed like I did. I think if I had ate something, I'd have made it a much more interesting match.

2. My conditioning sucked major ass compared to some of the guys there. I must get better.

3. I must either get a lot stronger, or maintain strength and drop to a lower weight class. Welter weight is too much in the middle to be a weak fighter. Must fix this.

4. The pace is much faster and more intense in a tournament than I expected. I know this now and it won't take my by surprise.

5. There are some sandbagging sons of bitches, but oh well.

6. First tournament jitters out of the way. I'm confident that I'll now go into each tourney with a different mindset.

Here's the link guys: http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=28IDCBUCVOK8032Y70IX3W72OL

I know I got schooled, but any comments/observations are def. appreciated.

There was some simple stuff you could have done, but that's not a knock at all: you've been doing this stuff for half a year for cryin' out loud.

Kodos for posting the vid.

When a guy has side mount on you work for half guard. That's all. Guy has side mount, get half guard. Don't think about anything else (because once you get half guard, full guard is just a hop skip and a jump away). From the video: Get half guard by reaching down with your right hand and pushing his right leg between your legs as you kinda' crab. Think of nothing else except half guard.

Same with the mount. Don't worry about much else except getting one of his legs in half guard. You'll have to crab to one side, then maybe the other, while pushing his leg (with your hand) between your legs for half guard. It's tough, but certainly possible.

If you give up your back, try not to give up hooks in. Do something to at least block one of his hook in attempts.

So (and I'm no expert), IMO you should concentrate on 2 things.
1) When side mounted or mounted work for nothing but half guard, then full guard.
2) When giving up the back at least keep one hook out.

Honestly you looked fine. Actually exactly where you should be for your time in training. I'll bet within a couple months we'll be seeing a "Won my first Tournament" thread by you. Keep training.

If your in sidemount and the dude passed your guard easily to get there you need to work for the reversal because there is a good chance he will get guard pass points again if you just reguard.

Pinecone

In the month before my last tournament, I had my club lengthen randori from 5 minute sessions to 7 or 10 minutes. Also the comeptitors stayed in 3 or 4 times in a row. That way we wouldn't gas at the tournament during the matches. It seemed to work well for me.

I agree with Old Man Judo that you should try for .5 guard. However, I often sweep to side control from .5 guard instead of going for 1.0 guard. Unless I am having a lot of trouble, I feel that side control is a stronger position than guard.

Also remember not to panic when mounted! Try bicycling your legs to remove those hooks (not in back mount), and keep you elbows in without having your arms cross your center line most of the time. Should could have worked your elbow-in knee escape from mount a few times too.

But I think you did ok. You were not submitted, and your opponent seemed to lay-n-pray a little bit (which I hate). Good luck with your next tournament!

Thanks a lot for the comments guys. I think if I had eaten something in the 8hrs leading up to my match, and actually had some energy, I'd have been fine. I NEVER gas in training, even going full out, and I'm usually very active on the bottom. Oh well, live and learn.

I'm not a huge fan of pulling guard.

Work for the takedown instead of pulling guard against someone who seems close to you in size and strength.

If you dont know when your division is going to be called, snack on some low GI food while you wait. When I say snack I mean snack dont eat a shit load and few bite every few minutes. You wont be too full to compete but you wont be fighting on an empty stomach either. When your division is called take a couple swigs of gatoraid. Obviously eating good meals at the proper time is the best option, but if your not sure it will help. Also if weigh in is the same day it will usually start 2 hours before competition at a big event, get there as early as possible, bring your breakfast with you and start eating the second you get off the scale.

Deus- Yea I'm not really a fan of pulling guard either. When I stepped on the mat, I just had no energy, and when I realized how low I was going to have to shoot to get under him, I just weighed the pros and cons in my head, and figured because I was a little on the slow side at the time, that I might give up something by shooting in.

Rat- Yea I was pretty pissed at myself. I spend all this time preparing for the tourney, and then undercut myself by screwing up my nutrition (which is something that is usually spot on for me).

When trying to bridge the guy off from mount bridge over your head first then turn. Make your opponent lighter when rolling them over. If you go straight to the side its easy to defend.

Climb your legs up their back in close guard. Makes it easier for you to break their posture and set up Subs/Sweeps.

In half guard. Hook with the inside leg tight behind their thigh just above the knee. Take your outside leg and step over his leg and hook the shin/ankle from the inside with your foot. Get double underhooks and he is going no where.

Back