First Time to a Brewery Tour, How Much Should I Have Tipped the Tour Guide?

das omen

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Form a Birthday celebration, my siblings and I took our father to Karbach Brewery here in Houston, TX. First time for my father and I to a brewery, first time I even had a Karbach beer. We eventually took the tour which lasted about 20 minutes or so and the tour guide was okay, kind of difficult to hear as his voice was rather low and he spoke fast, but he was clearly knowledgeable about the brewing process.

Question is, how much tip does a brewery tour guide usually command? I didn’t observe the other folks participating in the tour on how much they tipped, so I am baffled. So I stand before you O Great Sherdog, I seek answers since you guys are clearly more suave and cultured than I’ll ever be.

Well ummm it depends on the experience. Which is subjective. I wouldnt tip for a 20 minute tour where I didnt get to sample any beer and I could barely hear the dude talking. But maybe you learned something interesting which is why its up to you to decide. The choices you make and the consequent fate is yours rubberneck.

Teh obligatory tree fiddy of course.

You know what we haven't had in a while? A tipping thread.

Zero. The onus should be on the employer to provide an acceptable rate of pay to his employees, not on their customers.

Why the fuck would you even think of tipping in that scenario.

How would I know.. you are from the tipping country. Out here you are payed by your employer not by clients/guests.

Been to 4 or 5 breweries, have only taken the tour on one occasion. The dude kept serving us 12 oz samples... i got pretty drunk in the course of an hour and half. I didn't tip though. I also don't think it's encouraged.

Karbach makes a hopadillo ipa that's pretty good. I'm in Ft. Worth, and i see their beers everywhere.

Why the fuck would you even think of tipping in that scenario.

4c45e049-e952-4c05-924e-d895a7187b73_text_hi.gif

giphy.gif
<Gordonhat>

Nothing. Just buy some stuff from the gift-shop when the tour is over.

I don't understand why you'd tip the tour guide. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Depends on the guide/waiter.

We did a history tour of a castle in Oxford where the guide dresses as a character from the castles history. Got a younger guy who went round with my 2 kids and a couple talking about the past and hamming it up as they do. Guy was really knowledgeable and we ended up chatting about historical sites as he was genuinely interested in them which was why he worked there.

He got a tip that was almost as much I'd paid for the tour for the kids and I as he really made it worthwhile and I enjoyed it. Not a huge amount but he was certainly surprised and appreciative. The other couple gave nothing.

Who would tip a tour guide? That never would even cross my mind, and I've been to dozens of breweries. You tip the bartender who pours you samples but that's it.

Back