first time sparring

snowolf17

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
so i sparred for my first time this morning (ive been training muay thai since the end of July) and i really enjoyed it. We went about 8 3 minute rounds with diff. partners. Have a couple of questions, i felt like my technique my first round or so was a little sloppy but as i got used to dealing with pressure from the other guy i feel it got a little better, is that normal? second i didnt land any huge shots but i did land some pretty clean jabs, crosses and a couple of leg kicks i felt very uncomortable throwing hooks and uppercuts cuz i felt to exposed, what can i do to improve in that area? also i have a tendency to back straight up when dealing with pressure and as we worked our way through the rounds i tried hard to circle or clinch when i was getting overwhelmed, is there anything i can do to work on evasive tactics to make the other guy miss? all in all i felt very satisfied with my performance given that it was my first time i am sure i did not win any of the rounds but i do feel i put up a good fight and it was a great eye opener for me to see what i need to work on. thanks in advance for any advice.

so i sparred for my first time this morning (ive been training muay thai since the end of July) and i really enjoyed it. We went about 8 3 minute rounds with diff. partners. Have a couple of questions, i felt like my technique my first round or so was a little sloppy but as i got used to dealing with pressure from the other guy i feel it got a little better, is that normal? second i didnt land any huge shots but i did land some pretty clean jabs, crosses and a couple of leg kicks i felt very uncomortable throwing hooks and uppercuts cuz i felt to exposed, what can i do to improve in that area? also i have a tendency to back straight up when dealing with pressure and as we worked our way through the rounds i tried hard to circle or clinch when i was getting overwhelmed, is there anything i can do to work on evasive tactics to make the other guy miss? all in all i felt very satisfied with my performance given that it was my first time i am sure i did not win any of the rounds but i do feel i put up a good fight and it was a great eye opener for me to see what i need to work on. thanks in advance for any advice.

1) As you figure our your distance to the person your sparring after the first round usually you improve moving on

2) It's you first time sparring as you improve your basic punches you will in time be able to comfortably throw hooks/uppercuts. Footwork is very important to your fighting so make sure your always improving. Right now my biggest downfall is my footwork s I'm always trying to improve.

3) When your trying to make the other guy miss again you need to be moving your head and using evasive techniques such as rolling/weaving etc.. footwork is also key in this area.

I got my ass kicked my first time sparring but it made me feel good knowing where I messed up and that I'm only going to get better. Good luck with your training hope I helped.

Keep with it and don't ever get intimidated. I've boxed for seventeen years and even still I get beat up during sparring against guys with a quarter my experience and not even close to my size. When I spar it's always for myself, not so I can win a session but so I can put myself into certain situations and get out of them. You train technique and flow.

If I could give you any advice it would be to take the shots, then take some more. Anyone can learn to spar and do well and learn but not everyone will take shots and learn from it. Understand your threshold and if you ever actually do have a fight don't let yourself ever get that low. That is what practice is for. Good for you dude.

I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty new to sparring as well. I'm really trying to find my distance and work my jab. I feel comfortable with my 1 & 2, but have the same issues with hooks/upper cuts. I box with a partner that is a pressure fighter, quick has heck, and come straight in with a crap ton of combos. I really gotta remember footwork first, keep my hands up, and find my distance.

Hopefully things will slow down after we get more experience. I feel like I'm missing a lot of holes and opportunity to throw things...

thanks for the advice URL, i found myself mostly throwing 1-2 combos and sometimes throwing in a hook, foot jab, or leg kick. one of the guys i was sparring with would aggresively come at me with 4 and 5 punch combos part of me wanted to trade with him but i usually attempted tie up or ciricle out what are some effective ways of getting the other guy to think twice about coming in with a flurry like that?

sounds like you and me are in the same boat trogdor, one thing that worked for me a couple times was to feint the jab get some head movement in there and then step in for a real jab it worked for me a couple times and i landed a couple pretty stiff jabs with it, i def really need to work on footwork though.

Back