First time in BJJ...

Strat

White Belt
Reaction score
I finally found a BJJ school. In a couple of days i'll get there and see the place. But I dont have the slightest idea to what to ask or look for, when it comes to grappling. The things you look for in Muay Thai (etc.) gym would only help in general.
So I need some advice from people who actually does bjj or any other grappling art.

How do you understand it's a good bjj school?
What do you look for when joining a bjj school?

i look for clean mats
instructors that are good teachers
friendly people
good prices
mostly it will be if you like the place

whats a good price for bjj by the way. per month I would guess

Strong classmates. Clean facility and make sure they don't go too far in class. No full on matches on anything. Shah Franco's guys in Toronto go pretty freaking hard. Definitely not for a beginner. But, it's up to you to be comfortable and go at your pace.

Look for somewhere with an atmosphere and training ethic that suits you, if you want to train it as a bit of fun its no good finding a school full of rabid contest junkies. Take the time to talk top the head instructor as his personality will be reflected in the school, watch a lesson (or take part if they'll let you) and try to see if they will give you a decent level of teaching and attention. What is the attittude of the higher grades towards helping beginners? It's worth really getting a feel for the place before you commit to a school where you would'nt feel comfortable training.

Fighter said:
Strong classmates. Clean facility and make sure they don't go too far in class. No full on matches on anything. Shah Franco's guys in Toronto go pretty freaking hard. Definitely not for a beginner. But, it's up to you to be comfortable and go at your pace.

OSSSSSSSSSSS :icon_evil

Back