First Post: Reflex Heavy Bag

cedsothoed

White Belt
Reaction score
Howdy everybody. I'm 29, 6 foot even, 202lbs, work out 5 days a week with heavy lifting and 3 days of week of running. I just started working out routinely last February. I'm a huge fan of MMA and earlier this year my program director in Amarillo (I live in Austin, Texas but the radio station I work for is in Amarillo) trains at Elite MMA and took me there on a visit and I fell in love with the art of physical combat. I recently got an Everlast Reflex heavy bag on Black Friday and been working with it ever since. I have not had any formal stand up training but I've read on here as a lurker since I got it and watched youtube videos of tutorials on how to strike. The bag is this http://i.tfcdn.com/img2/4VrNBEEAY5K...qx_gqW-gb2pgoG9kZGJqZGlpbKiXVZAOAA**/fyVMtP8A. It stands about 5'10, with the base filled it's 270lbs I believe. I feel like I do an ok job but I will post video to be critiqued. My question is, how do I properly work a reflex bag since striking it with combos usually don't work since the bag sways away? What would be proper techniques? Thanks in advance.

It's mostly crap.

When I was 150ish I could knock one over with a few roundhouses. (dunno what weight but we couldn't lift it straight up)
You're way bigger.

Fob it off to one of your friends and get a real bag.

I now have a hate for any bag filled with water or sand. I kicked one over at the gym, went to pick it up only to find it pissing all over the place. What a mess.

I don't think I have the technique to kick it over yet. But the bag itself is not filled, just the base. I stay in a condo so I don't have room for a real bag. I keep the base in the garage and I take the bag off and store it in the closet so I can park my car inside. I hope when I buy a house in the next few years I can have a real bag supported by the ceiling.

reflex bags are awesome bro, i used it to simulate head movement on an opponent and work my defense when it swings back at you...instead of combo just work single shots and counter when its coming back or evade when its coming back at you

reflex bags are awesome bro, i used it to simulate head movement on an opponent and work my defense when it swings back at you...instead of combo just work single shots and counter when its coming back or evade when its coming back at you

I can dig that. I want to work on angles more. I try to discipline myself where if I get to a point in between my garage wall and the bag since my garage is narrow, I put myself in a clinch with the bag. I think that is where I can work combos that are not too powerful and then move out of the clinch in an angle with a good shot to the body.

Back