First post. Go easy.

J

Jimswork1341

Hey guys. Long time reader, first time... blah blah blah.

I've trained in Muay Thai for a few years, and I've boxed for a few years. Unfortunatley, Pittsburgh isn't exactly the "hub" of MMA, so I've never been able to do any real training in it.

I'm going to be moving to California (San Diego) and I was wondering if any of you knew of any good MMA schools out there. I'm sure there are tons, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Thanks.

I think Ken Shamrock trains in San Diego. Ask him if you can enter the "lions den".

post this again in the grappling forum. You'll get alot more informed responses.

City Boxing Downtown and in PB are really good.

morganfreeman said:
post this again in the grappling forum. You'll get alot more informed responses.

Thank you for an actual helpful response.

I see why you guys dont like the white belts now.

marco ruas' place is up the road a bit. feasability depends on whether or not you are going to live right in san diego or not.

I live and train in SD. It depends on what part your in. I like the nice little Gracie studio down in Ocean Beach. Rates are fair and they teach you everything. Some places won't teach you heal hooks etc... cause they aren't allowed in black belt competitions, but these guys will teach you it all. They prep fighters for MMA fights in TJ and shit like that so they can show you how to go no-gi all out if you need. There is of course the lion den which in south SD. Another good place where I go sometimes is on Rosecrans blvd. Nice boxing club as well with a jiu-jitsu section as well as a full gym. Hit me up when you get to SD and let me know where you are. I'll hook you up.

i read an article with frank shamrock a little while back that said he was opening his new school in CA....but I can't remember what city....

check out mmaweekly....pretty sure thats where i read about it

Jimswork1341 said:
Hey guys. Long time reader, first time... blah blah blah.

I've trained in Muay Thai for a few years, and I've boxed for a few years. Unfortunatley, Pittsburgh isn't exactly the "hub" of MMA, so I've never been able to do any real training in it.

I'm going to be moving to California (San Diego) and I was wondering if any of you knew of any good MMA schools out there. I'm sure there are tons, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Thanks.

If you can't find good training in Cali then you can't find it anywhere in the country. The west coast has a strong MMA scene.

It sounds like you've got some solid striking, so I'd suggest checking www.bjj.org for a good bjj school in the area. I'm sure they would have some standup training there too.

I would suggest checking out Dean Lister at theboxingclub.com or San Diego Fight Club for MMA.

I use to train with Dean and his trainers approach to MMA is great. I recently moved over to focus on just BJJ (due to lack of time, I work a full time 9 - 5) so Im over at Fabio Jiu JItsu now, which I would highly recommend if yuo want to pick up some great BJJ, Fabio is an awesome instructor. I'll get back in with Dean once I get my promotion (when i only have to work 9 - 1pm). Peace bro and Welcome to San Diego.

Fabio is great and so is lister but a bit pricey..K0 Fit in mission Valley has BJJ..MMA and Muay Thai ...been training there for 2 years and its aweseom..We always have guys competing in Total Combat venues down in TJ...

Back