First Muay Thai/MMA class tommorow...advice?

ZGSON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Starting my first MMA class tommorow, its a one hour, 1 on 1 with the head trainer. Any advice or what should I expect? While Im new to trained fighting, Im not new to the gym, been lifting for 4 years...which doesnt equate to a good fighter, but gives me an upper hand strength wise...point being, Im in shape and Im used to hard work and disipline. Thanks.

you are probably in a different shape than you think, sure you are wieght wise with lifting and so forth, but if you gas out during training mma, dont worry about it, it happens, the cardio is a lot different than lifting and running.
good luck, post agin with results of training session, dont be a one post wonder

guardpasser said:
you are probably in a different shape than you think, sure you are wieght wise with lifting and so forth, but if you gas out during training mma, dont worry about it, it happens, the cardio is a lot different than lifting and running.
good luck, post agin with results of training session, dont be a one post wonder

Thanks, I was just trying to get the point across that I was going from nothing to full out MMA. Im sure it will be a completly different feel. I definitly wont be a one post wonder, been wanting to do this for a long time, finally found somewhere near by.

keep hydrated during the day. Bring water.
your probably not gonna be use to the cardio.
Weight lifting will help you so much in that your're not
totally out of shape. Your class will probably stress more
strength conditioning than power....
pace yourself.
technique/form over power when you're a beginner.

Thanks bro, and the hydration is no problem, Im the only person at work that carries around a 1 gallong jug of water every day.

I wonder how being sore from workouts will effect this, I have deadlift day on Wednesdays...then Muay Thai on Thursday...

Be like a sponge man and absorb as much knowledge or technique that you can.

Be sure to tell him how great of shape you are in and how great of a powerlifter you are. Continue to remind your instructor how bad ass you are throughout the class.

One word: humility.

Brandinho said:
Be sure to tell him how great of shape you are in and how great of a powerlifter you are. Continue to remind your instructor how bad ass you are throughout the class.

One word: humility.
Definitly good advice.

Actually I wont even mention I work out, Im sure he will notice and might try to go harder on me to prove what a puss I am.

Dont' be afraid to ask questions, because if you don't know what your doing right it won't work.

So had the class went pretty well, just learned how to wrap my hands, basic stances , kicks, knees and punches. Kicked on the heavy bag, gonna have to remember SHINS. Did some combos drills with the mitts. Definitly gonna have to practice leg blocks, I was getting killed on those. OVerall went well will go back Sunday for the ground fighting class BJJ, wrestling, etc...

Back