First Interclub on Sunday

W12Ranger

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hi guys, I hope you're all well.

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I have my first muay Thai interclub on Sunday. Needless to say I'm pretty nervous about making myself look a fool (which I admit I should be used to by now...) and letting my gym down.

Are there any tips or pointers some of you have which helped you get over your nerves?

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I hope you're all well.

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I have my first muay Thai interclub on Sunday. Needless to say I'm pretty nervous about making myself look a fool (which I admit I should be used to by now...) and letting my gym down.

Are there any tips or pointers some of you have which helped you get over your nerves?

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Bare in mind i had my first interclub MT fight when i was in highschool and i'm now 30... but i was terrified. My mum went with me to Manchester and sat ringside to support me, but i felt worse because i didn't wanna let her and my gym down. There was a second ring next to the one i fought in that had a bunch of HW guys flopping around like a drunken pub fight. I kept thinking "I just wanna go home and watch tv, i don't wanna do this" but i pushed through.

The other corner had loads of people standing on the ring pre-fight i guess trying to intimidate me, but as i was already nervous about disappointing my mum i just zoned them out. In hindsight i may have gone too hard, as i made my opponent cry, and they turned into a punching bag but i didn't wanna get beat up so i went for it.

Long story short - It's perfectly fine to be nervous, drink a nice amount of water right before the start, show no mercy and don't give your opponent time to think. There's a good chance they'll be nervous too and if you start fast with leg kicks and a powerful teep they'll be shocked.

Good luck dude and whether you win/lose or they do that thing where they say you both won, pop over to the Muay Thai and Kickboxing sub when you have time and let us know about how it went - https://forums.sherdog.com/forums/muay-thai-and-kickboxing.42/

Bare in mind i had my first interclub MT fight when i was in highschool and i'm now 30... but i was terrified. My mum went with me to Manchester and sat ringside to support me, but i felt worse because i didn't wanna let her and my gym down. There was a second ring next to the one i fought in that had a bunch of HW guys flopping around like a drunken pub fight. I kept thinking "I just wanna go home and watch tv, i don't wanna do this" but i pushed through.

The other corner had loads of people standing on the ring pre-fight i guess trying to intimidate me, but as i was already nervous about disappointing my mum i just zoned them out. In hindsight i may have gone too hard, as i made my opponent cry, and they turned into a punching bag but i didn't wanna get beat up so i went for it.

Long story short - It's perfectly fine to be nervous, drink a nice amount of water right before the start, show no mercy and don't give your opponent time to think. There's a good chance they'll be nervous too and if you start fast with leg kicks and a powerful teep they'll be shocked.

Good luck dude and whether you win/lose or they do that thing where they say you both won, pop over to the Muay Thai and Kickboxing sub when you have time and let us know about how it went - https://forums.sherdog.com/forums/muay-thai-and-kickboxing.42/
Thank you, bro. That's good advice.

I hope you're no longer making them cry!

I will post my result and experience after the fight. Hopefully it will be a successful one.

Thank you, bro. That's good advice.

I hope you're no longer making them cry!

I will post my result and experience after the fight. Hopefully it will be a successful one.

I gave MT up a long time ago when i went to uni haha I still watch MT and KB though.

Like i said, there's nothing wrong with being nervous but because of the nerves try to always be on the attack. Don't be reckless and swing wildly, but just keep up the pressure and don't give them time to think. Back then my favourite combo was a low kick with my lead leg, then a quick jab-cross, and then a leg or body kick on the opposite side to how i started. It just flowed so great in sparring that i used that straight away when the ref said go, and my opponent had no idea what to do.

Your opponent may be more experienced and it might not go as i'm saying, but if you give them time you're already at a disadvantage. Pressure, quick combos, focus on accuracy over power, and vary your shots. Another thing you could do is watch the people who fight before you if it's similar to mine, and try see if they do anything you think might give you the upper hand. Above all though, learn from the experience regardless of the outcome.

I gave MT up a long time ago when i went to uni haha I still watch MT and KB though.

Like i said, there's nothing wrong with being nervous but because of the nerves try to always be on the attack. Don't be reckless and swing wildly, but just keep up the pressure and don't give them time to think. Back then my favourite combo was a low kick with my lead leg, then a quick jab-cross, and then a leg or body kick on the opposite side to how i started. It just flowed so great in sparring that i used that straight away when the ref said go, and my opponent had no idea what to do.

Your opponent may be more experienced and it might not go as i'm saying, but if you give them time you're already at a disadvantage. Pressure, quick combos, focus on accuracy over power, and vary your shots. Another thing you could do is watch the people who fight before you if it's similar to mine, and try see if they do anything you think might give you the upper hand. Above all though, learn from the experience regardless of the outcome.
Good strategy. I'll have to keep that in mind as best I can.

Although it can certainly all go out of the window from once the bell rings. Just got to stick to the plan

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Back