First GI, Belt, and Sub!

Diligent

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I just had my fifth bjj practice last night. The last 4 practices I had yet to buy a gi, so at the end of my fourth practice, I went ahead and bought one ... so I am officially a white-belt now. *feels shame*

Anyway, I got my first 2 subs last night on two different people, both with a keylock!!! I'm starting to be able to slap it on people real quick without being too obvious. (I got them pretty quickly, but man, that girl was tough for an 11 year old!!! haha j/k)

But also, I got tapped for the first time last night as well, both times by the same guy ... and both times were by triangle choke. I was leaning too far foward and when he started to get it I leaned foward even more rather than fighting it and he just sunk it in even better. That guy tapped everyone out in the class, though ... he was pretty good ....

So last night was pretty cool ... just gave me more incentive to keep coming to practice and giving it my all. Unfortunately, when I was driving back home and celebrating my white-beltness and first 2 taps, I realized I had shut my car door on my gi and had been driving down the highway with part of my gi hanging out. :eek: . *feels more shame*

Congrats. Don't feel bad about being a white belt; everyone was one and several good grapplers still are.

A black belt is a white belt who didn't quit. i read that off someone's signature.

Congrats on good luck with your training!
A word of advice...only wear your gi on the mat. That way you keep it from getting unnecessarily dirty, and you don't have to worry ever again about shutting your car door on it.

I can hear one of your classmates now..."Damn, that guy smelled like ASS(phalt)!!!"

DMcKayBJJ said:
Congrats on good luck with your training!
A word of advice...only wear your gi on the mat. That way you keep it from getting unnecessarily dirty, and you don't have to worry ever again about shutting your car door on it.

I can hear one of your classmates now..."Damn, that guy smelled like ASS(phalt)!!!"

haha, will do. thanks for advice. Actually one of the guys I tapped smelled just plain gross ... I showered after practice and I still had his stink on my hands ... I had to shower again to get it completely off, no joke ... friggin' sick ....

thanks Frodo and 2om30! :D

2om30 said:
A black belt is a white belt who didn't quit. i read that off someone's signature.
very cool quote indeed.

Congrats! Just keep tappin'.

You going to be at the tournament on Saturday?

Welcome to BJJ, (im assuming u joined BJJ)

b0b said:
You going to be at the tournament on Saturday?

I did not enter, but I am going to maybe try to make it. I'll pm ya later on today.:)

Cool. Im not going, I have to go out of town.

Thefirst six months are going to be you tapping alot.. so i suggest learning and keeping a positive attitude to get through it.. GOOD LUCK YAYYYYYYYYY

if a shower doesn't wash his stench off, then don't ever roll with him again.

That's the grossest shit I've ever heard in my life.

Blake Bowman said:
if a shower doesn't wash his stench off, then don't ever roll with him again.

That's the grossest shit I've ever heard in my life.

Man, the guy smelled like some weird cross between pee and sweat ... and as soon as we started class and he got in my guard, I could smell him and I was like 'daaaa'. I took a good shower, sat down at my desk to study, and when I rested my chin on my fist while I was writing, I smelled like a little hint of it still on me. This has happened to me once before in wrestling with some fat kid who smelled like ... nasty fat people do .... I haved vowed never to be 'the smelly guy' ...

Diligent said:
I did not enter, but I am going to maybe try to make it. I'll pm ya later on today.:)
Ahhhhh. My first tournament tournament was about a month after I started BJJ. I lost royally; however, it marked the beginning of my high-level training. Every time I have gone to a new tourney I met new instructors, whom I visited later. I also got to see really good jiu-jitsu and wrestling first-hand and to ask the competitors about their matches. It really really really helped improve my game. You also get more comfortable the more times you do it. So don't be afraid to compete; just do it for the experience!

Frodo said:
Ahhhhh. My first tournament was not-quite two weeks after I started BJJ. Don't be afraid to compete; just do it for the experience!

Word. Next tournament that comes 'round I will enter.

Diligent said:
Man, the guy smelled like some weird cross between pee and sweat ... and as soon as we started class and he got in my guard, I could smell him and I was like 'daaaa'. I took a good shower, sat down at my desk to study, and when I rested my chin on my fist while I was writing, I smelled like a little hint of it still on me. This has happened to me once before in wrestling with some fat kid who smelled like ... nasty fat people do .... I haved vowed never to be 'the smelly guy' ...

There are some black guys that I roll with that have something in their hair that gets on my hands. It takes me 2 showers to get that smell off my hand.

Bama Zulu said:
Was it necessary to point out their race?
well some white guys don't smell that great either....how's that?

Bama Zulu said:
Was it necessary to point out their race?

Yes, because it seems to be some type of hair styling substance that black people use.

Back