First BJJ tournament

B

Bmonk**

I am entering a no-gi BJJ tournament which is happening on October 15th.

I've been doing Judo for about a year and a half, and I have some no-gi experience which I have gained by rolling with some BJJ guys at University.

I am 153 lbs, and have to fight in the 145 - 169 lb division. I am very strong for my weight, so I am not worried about the weight difference.

There are three divisions

Beginner: 1 - 12 months experience, Intermediate: 12 - 24 months experience, Advanced: 24 and up experience.

I am not sure whether to enter the Beginner or Intermediate divisions.

How difficult is the Beginner division usually?

Since this is my first tournament, and it is no-gi, which division should I enter?

Thanks

The last (and olnly) tournament I entered defined beginner as 1 year or less of experience. I'm not sure if my competition experience is normal but I was happy I entered 4 divisions. There was so much time spent waiting around I'd have been *really* bored if I only rolled in one of them.

It depends on what you want to accomplish. You won't do as well in a more advanced division, but you'll probably learn more. You may dominate an easier division, but what does that get you.

jiujitsujayhawk said:
It depends on what you want to accomplish. You won't do as well in a more advanced division, but you'll probably learn more. You may dominate an easier division, but what does that get you.

This is exactly what I was thinking also. However, I am thinking of entering the Beginner division simply to gain the experience of being in a BJJ tournament.

If I place first or second in the beginner division, I get to fight in the absolutes (with a chance of facing George St Pierre or even Patrick Cote). So I am hoping that if I do infact dominate the beginner division, and that it is too easy for me, I can test myself in the absolutes.

Any no-gi tournament advice would be appreciated.

Dont sand bag it..if you think you belong in the intermediate..enter there

I just had my first No Gi pancrase tourney in AUG...been doing BJJ for about 2 years..didnt think I would do as well as I did in the intermediate..Lost my last match on points but i learned ALOT..I learned I can hang with the purple belts as well as learning some weaknesses in my game

You have a year and a half of Judo, and some "Garage Grappling" experience.

Total BJJ experience: 0 years.

It's not sandbagging, you're not a BJJ guy. Enter the beginer division, and if you have the cash, register for a second division. You'll get the experience, and you won't just be on and off the mat facing guys with much more experience than you.

Despite the similarities, sport Judo =/= sport BJJ. It'd be like saying "I have been playing blackjack for years. There is a poker tournament coming up. What level should I enter at?"

stephensharp said:
You have a year and a half of Judo, and some "Garage Grappling" experience.

Total BJJ experience: 0 years.

It's not sandbagging, you're not a BJJ guy. Enter the beginer division, and if you have the cash, register for a second division. You'll get the experience, and you won't just be on and off the mat facing guys with much more experience than you.

Despite the similarities, sport Judo =/= sport BJJ. It'd be like saying "I have been playing blackjack for years. There is a poker tournament coming up. What level should I enter at?"

no its not...Plenty of Judo guys do great at ADCC..enter the intermediate and challenge yourself

DJGMT said:
no its not...Plenty of Judo guys do great at ADCC..enter the intermediate and challenge yourself
adcc is not a sport bjj tourney. it's a grappling tourney.

Sometimes the intermediate division ends up being even easier than the beginner division due to sandbagging.

Enter wherever you feel comfortable. Just be honest and don't contribute to sandbagging. You obviously have experience, but I think it's still reasonable for you to claim beginner status. It's also reasonable for you to fight in intermediate.

Ultimately, it is your choice.

That is a good question, i gotta say you should do beginner. It is a bjj competition, and you mostly know judo. I have seen plenty of good judo guys who dont have any bjj experence in competition. most of them belong in the beginner division. Have fun, and good luck. you will get some competitive matches.

Its a difficult decision.

On one hand, yes you have more than one year of "grappling" training. But on the other, you are not a bjj guy, but judo guy.

Is it a bjj no gi tournament? I have entered no gi submission tournaments with bjj gi events running at the same time but never heard of bjj no gi tournament where I live. They usually call it simply submission wrestling.

I don't know how many times in this forum that judo supporters says that bjj is judo and that all bjj moves are judo or come from judo, can be traced to judo. But when it comes down to competing in tournaments bjj/pancrase/gi or no gi, then it is different. Well judo is not bjj so...... (enter whatever statement here). I'm not bashing on judo guys either but just stating what has been repeated before.

Its a tough spot to be in that I don't envy. Bottom line is pick whatever you like.

Hell, I had a bjj tournament gi bout that had a professional mma fighter, advance no gi champion enter as a white belt. He actually wore a white belt and I was like, didn't this guy just fight somewhere on t.v.?

So I guess I am saying, its up to you. Good luck no matter what you choose. Bring home the gold.

Back