first american cup

batman69

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i just got back from los gatos and the first american cup. it was my first tournament as a purple belt. i competed in the purple belt medium heavy masters division. i had two other guys so i had the potential of fighting the same guy twice if a i won my first match. my first match was a doozy. it was against a cassio werneck purple belt that i had faced twice before, chad darling. he won our first meeting by refs decision, and i took the second by a sweep, the only points scored in the match.

the third installment went much like the second with me getting a really nice half guard sweep, one that i had never pulled off in a tournament before. it's a lot like a x uard sweep except the x isn't present. as i was driving to the tournament i was thinking about the sweep and how chap plays th top game falling right into it. he did so that worked out. the rest of the match was a scramble for position with me getting the better of the game without scoring again, or him either.

then he had to face the remaining guy, i didn't watch the match a lot, only to see that the new guy passed chads guard then chad escaped and spent the rest of the match in the new guy's guard. losing three to two.

so next up was me and ira. i pulled half guard, he did a great job of shutting it down, and as i was working for a deeper half guard the match was stopped. i was a little confused as they pulled us apart but it was because ira had a zit on his forehead that had started bleeding. after a pause so a medic(yes they had a medic look at it) attend to it, the match was resumed. the ref wanted it started on the feet and both me and ira objected saying it should start in the same position.

as we restarted i had to tell him that he had my rm locked up and could have it gain. he took and we started. after some positional fighting he jumped into my full guard shooting straight in and going for an ezekial, which while it took me off guard and while he got it fairly deep i never felt in real danger from it. he got an advantage for it and we were back to fighting for position, with him trying to pass and me shooting out for triangles or sweeps.

at hat point he was in my full guard and he locked both of his elbows into my hips and would not move. at one point i couldn't even move my hips. i looked for a choke but he had his head buried on my side. the ref called him for stalling, then called him again, giving him a minus advantage, then as he loosened up and i shot for another triangle he scooped under my legs grabbed my belt and once again wouldn't move. i shook side to side and tried to get out. the ref called him for stalling , stood us up, ave him another minus and me two points. i just stood there thinking "holy shit, this is stupid, i'm going to win because this guy won't engage. fuck i think i'd rather lose or something, or just do it over from the start.".

we were restarted on our feet and he wouldn't engage so i grabbed him and pulled half guard, he tied to pass and i hit my knees to take him over. i don't know if i got him over all the way but time ran out at that time. i walked away with a funky win and a gold medal. i found out after that he's been a purple belt for like 5 years. so now i have my first win as a purple belt so i feel more legit wearing it to class everyday.

ybot, if you read this, tell chad he got third and that he was hands down the harder match. i know it won't mean much but he still is the hardest matches i ever have.

congrats man.

I competed in my first blue belt match today, with less desirable results.

good job bro

congrats jerme!

see u at the worlds?

no, i agreed last year around this time to help my tattoo artist in moving and he is doing so at the start of june. if i'm lucky i will be able to fly down and watch my teammates compete. i'll try and post a pic later of me with my shiny new medal.

fuck, double post, this forum cn be very trying. well screw this i'm going to go eat a big steak lots of pasta, and two glasses of red wine instead of the usual one. good night.

damn, you know how to party.

oh i'm a party animal all right. hell it was off the hook last night at my house, steak, pasta, an extra glass of wine, and a spanish horror film. the craziness was barely contained and then at around 12:05 i went into the bedroom and passed out next to my already snoring wife. i'm living the life that makes all the players jealous.

Congrats, sounds like an awesome tournament win!

Congratulations! That sounds like a great day. Hell....can't remember the last time I won a tournament.....

Congrats, sounds like an awesome tournament win!

it was nice, i had that feeling of slight impending doom leading up to it wondering how the purple belt game would get played out. with these matches behind me, now i feel like i am really ready for the step up in competition. i have holes i can see in my game and look forward to working on those. are you coming up for the us open this year? hint hint.

I'm not doing anything until this damned cervical disc problem I got from competing at the Gracie Nationals disappears. It may be a couple months more, it may be a year, who knows. I'm just glad I can train through it, but I don't want to risk a competition until it's totally clear.

I'm not doing anything until this damned cervical disc problem I got from competing at the Gracie Nationals disappears. It may be a couple months more, it may be a year, who knows. I'm just glad I can train through it, but I don't want to risk a competition until it's totally clear.

i think you mentioned that before, well take are of it and get back to as close to fully healthy as soon as you can. hopefully you'll be ready to go soon.

Dude, I can't believe I missed this thread. I meant to go to this tourney, but just didn't see any Browns signing up, so choose to save my money instead. Congratulations on the win!!!

Chad was really frustrated with his overall performance, so I'll let him know what you said. He really hasn't competed much lately, in fact maybe only once before as a purple, but I'm not sure. It gave him a bit of a kick in the pants to work for the Worlds, though.

I'll look for you at the worlds even if your not competing.

Dude, I can't believe I missed this thread. I meant to go to this tourney, but just didn't see any Browns signing up, so choose to save my money instead. Congratulations on the win!!!

Chad was really frustrated with his overall performance, so I'll let him know what you said. He really hasn't competed much lately, in fact maybe only once before as a purple, but I'm not sure. It gave him a bit of a kick in the pants to work for the Worlds, though.

I'll look for you at the worlds even if your not competing.

i have to work all weekend so no trip to long beach for me. good luck to both of you in your respective divisions.

Back