First 3 UK BJJ Black Belts awarded

paul in london

White Belt
Reaction score
from sfuk forum...

"Jude Samuel, Rick Young and Marc Walder all received their black belts today from Mauricio Gomes.

Roger Gracie and Braulio Estima were also present to congratulate them along with a class of about 80 guys from GB Scotland, GB Milton Keynes, GB Channel Islands, GB Essex and of course Roger Gracie Academy London.

These guys have been doing BJJ right from its birth in the UK back in the mid 90's, have all placed at the Mundials or Masters and are the foremost UK Gi grapplers around today."

DSC00919a.jpg

Another 5-8 years for me... *sigh*

I wish there was a 3rd degree BB over here more often.

It's great that we're getting more British blackbelts - although these guys arn't the first. Roger Brooking was first a few years ago and i'm sure i heard of another guy between then and now too.

Not that it takes anything away from these guys though, I hope I can get there one day.

Roger was born here but raised in Brazil so it's not really the same.

yeah, roger is'nt exactly 100% english. but I guess he has a british passport... :)

congrats to these guys, I had the same fealing that rick young would be bigger as well, but I guess standing besides roger can make anybody look small :)

Wicked.

I know who Rick Young is - anyone got any information on the other two?

Oh these guys are without doubt the first guys to train mainly in the UK and get the blacks, Roger is officially the first Brit - although he got his from Jacare while he lived in Brazil (where he lived from the age of four) so I do agree it's almost a technicality. I'm sure there's another guy who moved to the states when he was young got his a while back too, but I can't remember the name.

But like I say - I don't want to sound like I

marc walder is my instructor
he runs gracie barra dagenham

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back