Finishing take-downs when opponent is sprawled

jrock89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In class today I would shoot for singles and doubles but they would sprawl on me. Sometimes I could clasp my hands together even though they sprawled but I didn't know how to finish the single/double with all that weight flattening me out. Does anyone have any pointers on how to keep going with the take-down even though they are sprawled out? Thanks guys!

You've got to suck their leg out from under them and regain positional control. It's harder for some guys than other. We had a guy wrestling on our team last year who would get sprawled on fully then yank the dude's legs our form under him and finish the takedown. It was really cool to watch.

You yank one leg in and sort of uppercut with the other arm. I'm sure some people have better explanations.

You should also practice the sit out as a counter to sprawls. There's a nice transition from the sit-out straight to a brabo or an armbar.

There is a wrestling move commonly refered to as "sitting out" or "the sit out". Effective from a failed TD if they have you pushed down. Check it out, might be helpful.

If you are in a cage....you can push them directly back to the cage (or a wall) push their feet against it and stand them up as you drive forward.

Scramble your ass off. Alot of fighting for position comes down to a dog fight and who wants it more.

Finally, work on your takedown setup. If you can catch them off guard with it they have less chance of completing the sprawl.

Good luck

Look up videos on how to do a peek-out.

But what you really need to do is set up your shot better so he doesn't have a chance to sprawl.

Trick them into thinking that you've failed. Sometimes you can catch them if you let go of the legs and start to come back up to your feet. Once they come forward and feel safe, shoot again, this time don't f*** up. Do it quick though, shouldnt be much time in between letting go and shooting, a second or two at most.

You've got to suck their leg out from under them and regain positional control. It's harder for some guys than other. We had a guy wrestling on our team last year who would get sprawled on fully then yank the dude's legs our form under him and finish the takedown. It was really cool to watch.

I had a kid that used to do that when I coached. Used to drive me nuts, but it worked for him. He was a tough kid.

Usually that means you aren't setting up your shots or getting a penetration step or not turning the corner fast enough.

Any way Yes to peek-out/sit out. Also stay tight w the leg, like a shoulder strap and drop with him and turn the corner.

This might be what other are saying but if you shoot for a double and they sprawl on you I atleast attempt to do the following. Pick a direction to the left or the right then you take that are and essentially twist your body out from under the person while taking the opposite leg and sitting through. If you do it correctly you have an extremely good chance of taking their back. The beauty is the harder they are leaning into you the better the chance it will work. Kinda hard to describe but thats essentially it.

Thanks for all the great insight guys..really helping a lot

In class today I would shoot for singles and doubles but they would sprawl on me. Sometimes I could clasp my hands together even though they sprawled but I didn't know how to finish the single/double with all that weight flattening me out. Does anyone have any pointers on how to keep going with the take-down even though they are sprawled out? Thanks guys!

Easy one (to answer).
Shoot re-shoot.
Shoot in. They sprawl. Get up to your feet (or at least halfway) to load up for another shot. Shoot in. Repeat until you give it up or they break your grip.
This always seemed to work for me if I didn't get it on the first attempt.

Back