Finishing off the armbar

Wild Dan Hibiki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys i just got back into judo after my exams, and i've noticed that when i'm rolling i can get them into an armbar, but on my stomach and that's where i can't finish it off. i've tried to arch my back as much as i can but i still couldn't finish it off. so guys, any suggestions?

Do you have the arm extended?

Don't forget the little finger rule, pull the arm in the direction of their little finger. If you can't get leverage in a certain direction, just change the direction the little finger(and thus the joint) is pointing.

You get the armbar on your stomach?? i dont understand.

Make sure their thumb is pointing up. Grab the hand instead of the arm to controll.. That way they cannot turn the thumb down. Also grabbing the hand gives you the best leverage against their strength, much better then grabbing in the middle of the arm.
Make sure your hips/crotch are tight around the shoulder and just extend your hips and pull the arm.

ask your teacher to show you again, and then drill drill drill.. Do 20 times each side and next time you wont miss the arm.

Is the thumb pointing up? Maybe your armbar is still loose

Many times an armbar will fail if the elbow is below your hip. Also make sure the elbow is at least on your hip! You might not be close enough. Although, I rarely get armbars on my stomach; maybe you are built differently or pressuring it differently...

push ur hip into it
btw, happens with all guys, or just some?

I think he's talking about when you get an armbar while lying on top of the arm on your stomach, with the other guy on his hands and knees -- see Fedor v. Coleman. It does seem hard to finish from that position. I think it's because it is hard to keep your hips high on the arm, you keep sliding down as your opponent tries to stand up.

Make sure when applying the armbar that the thumb is pointed away from your leg(puts the elbow in the right sport) and make sure you squeeze your knees together a tight as you can.

if a move doesnt get the tap for you, one solution is using it as a transition. you get an armbar and someone rolls and you end up both face down (this is what i think you mean) then just take their back.

go for the RNC and if that fails too, back to the armbar. he might not expect this and it will be easier to finish, plus the momentum is at a minimum and he should end up flatly on his back. again, easier to finish.

as for the armbar itself, if you're talking straight armbar, when you fall back put one handon the wrist and one on the inside of his elbow. if im armbarring the left arm, my left halds his wrist, pulling it near my left nipple and my right hand cupping the inside of the elbow keeping the arm bent slightly so i dont slip off and he cant roll.

then i bridge up and to my left, the way the joint goes. i usually keep my right hand cupping the elbow. it helps keep my hips tight.

yeah the arm is extended, like i'll get them in an armbar from mount but they'll roll on to their stomach (i know, stupid me for not keeping him on his back)

SQUEEZE YOUR LEGS TOGETHER AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN! It cinches up the arm so you don't have to work hard at all to get the tap. If you know Jason Miller, he has a good armbar in MMA and calls it the "shaka arm locka" because he only has to use two fingers to pull the arm tight enough for the tap.

alright move your ass right next to his shoulder so that you are touching him make sure his pinky is pointing towards your stomach and push ur hips up

Back