Finding the right gym...

rute31

White Belt
Reaction score
I went to a free trial class last night at a gym close to my house in Alexandria, VA. I'm not sure what to expect for the first class....but I was told to get there a half an hour before the class started. I assumed that I would be greeted by the instructor and given the gyms history, training style, typical progression times and the basic jj skills that I would need to get the most out of the trial class.

This was no where close to how it played out...I arrived there 30 mins early like I was instructed (although I was not given a POC or any instructions on what to do once I arrived) Not saying that I need to be led by the hand but....Is this the norm for gyms? So I found my way through the gym to the right room for the class only to find 3 guys in the gym at the time. The two younger guys looked like gym goers who wandered into the mat room and were just F-ing around. While another older guy was warming up on the other side of the room off in his own world. So I waited until the class started and slowly people started showing up. Come to find out the instructor was not even going to be there that night. Instead he had asked a blue belt teach the class which I don't have a problem with. But it looked like it was his first class that led and that this was a last minute thing.

So I joined the class and went through the drills. Now keep in mind that I have no jj experience, it was almost like jumping on a bike without knowing how to pedal or brake...I was just on for the ride. After the class was done there was no consult on if I liked the class of if I was interested in joining.

I just wanted to know if this was normal. If not I think I might have to suck it up and make the longer drive to the other bjj schools in the No VA area.

That sounds like a bad experience.

What school was this?

Like I've said before, if you think you can manage the drive out to Tony's place in Sterling, I guarantee you'll have a good time. Just let me know, and I'll set everything up for you.

If you don't want to take Baltos' offer I suggest getting in touch with the instructor and setting up another trial class when he is going to be there.

at my school youre not going to get a big welcome. you have to take initiative and walk over to the mat. people walk into the gym for various reasons all the time. also, there are at least 3 new guys every week, with about 1 of 20 actually lasting more than a week or 2... i think instructors get tired of spending their knowledge and energy on new guys, just to have them bail when they realise its not as easy at it looks.

i would show up again, walk over to the mat and introduce yourself. if you dont like it with the real instructor, then dont go back.

at my school youre not going to get a big welcome. you have to take initiative and walk over to the mat. people walk into the gym for various reasons all the time. also, there are at least 3 new guys every week, with about 1 of 20 actually lasting more than a week or 2... i think instructors get tired of spending their knowledge and energy on new guys, just to have them bail when they realise its not as easy at it looks.

i would show up again, walk over to the mat and introduce yourself. if you dont like it with the real instructor, then dont go back.

If 95% of the guys who start at your school quit after the first week or two, then I think you have a major problem with the intro program at your school. That should not happen.

When a new guy shows up at the school, he should be welcomed and made to feel right at home. Most new people are very nervous and have a ton of reasons right off the bat why they shouldn't train BJJ. It's your job to make sure that you help them realize that their reasons for not training are silly (they usually are) and that BJJ is something that could really help their life.

We were all scared noobs at one point in time. It's best to remember that and welcome new students as much as possible.

If you don't, you will probably have a 95% drop out rate in the first two weeks as the guy above posted. I don't think that's a good thing.

It depends if you really care about them being noob-friendly. As long as they help you out and teach u shit u dont know its cool. Don't be too concerned about not getting a welcome & a follow up conversation. If the school has good facilities and good people and they help you out if you need help then its all good.

Back