Finding a challenge

Points taken. I will set some more goals while rolling, and I will try a few gi classes out, just to see if it helps. Has anyone been up to the alliance gym up in Atlanta? Any good reviews?

Wow, I guess you're being sincere in asking but training at Alliance Atlanta with Jacare and Cobrinha would be the equivalent of going up to New England and playin football with Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.

Wow, I guess you're being sincere in asking but training at Alliance Atlanta with Jacare and Cobrinha would be the equivalent of going up to New England and playin football with Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.

I'm sure there's more than just those two guys walking through the doors.

That made me lol so hard. I'm in Canada, but just the phrase "slightly biased" then you say "best school in the country" is just hilarious. No disrespect intended.

It's kind of the truth though. You don't really have to be very biased to claim it is the best school in the country. Like others have said it easily is a top 5 school and from there it is just kind of personal preference or what criteria you use to claim one school is better than another.

Your current instructor is a black belt? Does he offer gi classes? If he does, why not give them a try?

Points taken. I will set some more goals while rolling, and I will try a few gi classes out, just to see if it helps. Has anyone been up to the alliance gym up in Atlanta? Any good reviews?

I didn't read any further than this so forgive me if it's been mentioned already. I have not personally been there, but one of their students (I won't use his name, not sure if he'd like it) is originally from where I live and used to teach at my academy. He's a highly successful competitor and has been called Cobrinha's prodigy. All he had to say was Cobrinha and Jacare in the same academy.

If you can make it there/afford it--GO. You'd be hard pressed to find that level of BJJ in one academy anywhere else.

The best grappler at my gym is the best by far and actually has two people of lower weights fight him at the same time so he has to work his arms and legs as well as stay calm otherwise he will gas before he's begun. Another thing he does is start from his back with people in side control.

TS, learning gi is very useful. I'm sure that in a heated street fight I for example, wouldn't give you time to take off your shirt, and I'd probably be able to choke you with said shirt.

I don't see too many people walking around on the street in shorts and with a rash guard on/shirtless. If you were on the beach however different story.

I agree the gi sucks! I look at no gi and gi as being two completely different sports. My advise is stick to what you enjoy more...I personally dont think gi techniques translate to no gi (as many people do)

If you want a challenge why not doing everything on the opposite side? Or work inverted guard, master the rubber guard....or change schools, bc honestly you arent going to get much better if you arent challenged

I wear a gi everyday, even outside of my school, its called jeans and shirt!!!! I don't really every go to the club or to work wearing spandex compression shorts and no shirt... but hey, thats just me..

TS, learning gi is very useful. I'm sure that in a heated street fight I for example, wouldn't give you time to take off your shirt, and I'd probably be able to choke you with said shirt.

I don't see too many people walking around on the street in shorts and with a rash guard on/shirtless. If you were on the beach however different story.

Okay, fair enough. But, then again, most street fights...you aren't going to have that much of a chance to use a shirt to choke someone when they are punching you in the face. Gi techniques take longer to set-up, and a street fight is generally contested in a high paced setting. In fact, most street fights are over and done within 90 seconds.

Okay, fair enough. But, then again, most street fights...you aren't going to have that much of a chance to use a shirt to choke someone when they are punching you in the face. Gi techniques take longer to set-up, and a street fight is generally contested in a high paced setting. In fact, most street fights are over and done within 90 seconds.

It's another option.

Plain and simple.

Besides, why does everything have to be about what you might use "in the streets."

What the hell are all you people doing where you are constantly facing fights in the street?

You speak with such authority and yet you really have no right to. Not really. When high level black belts say that it's good for you to learn in the gi, I think that should be enough for anyone.

It's another option.

Plain and simple.

Besides, why does everything have to be about what you might use "in the streets."

What the hell are all you people doing where you are constantly facing fights in the street?

You speak with such authority and yet you really have no right to. Not really. When high level black belts say that it's good for you to learn in the gi, I think that should be enough for anyone.

I haven't been in a street fight since I was like 17. However, if I was ever to get into another street fight, I would like to have confidence in my ability to use my BJJ.

I am not attempting to speak with any sort of authority. I am a small fish in a big pond, but I do have an opinion, and that is my opinion. I like the competition. I never liked the way the gi feels...that's just me.

I haven't been in a street fight since I was like 17. However, if I was ever to get into another street fight, I would like to have confidence in my ability to use my BJJ.

I am not attempting to speak with any sort of authority. I am a small fish in a big pond, but I do have an opinion, and that is my opinion. I like the competition. I never liked the way the gi feels...that's just me.

You've stated that you want a challenge.

You don't like the gi. Can you imagine a better challenge than excelling at that?

Additionally, if there are more classes a week that you can go to, that is going be better for you physically.

Okay, fair enough. But, then again, most street fights...you aren't going to have that much of a chance to use a shirt to choke someone

damn son, wtf are you talking about? I choked out a dude using his own shirt once. a big corn rolled rap musician with a chip on his shoulder bc I called out another similarly melinated young lady for trying to take my place in line.

Here is one way to use the gi to improve your no gi game...you put one on and your opponent doesn't. Let him use all the grips to slow you down while you can't grab his shorts or shirt. We do this at my gym at times and it feels like its a good exercise.

oh but yeah...if you want to roll with more experienced guys without joining another gym, just ask the other gyms if they have open met sessions open to outside students. Often they will invite you to their sessions if you seem like a cool guy and have something to contribute.

I will have to look into that school, but it doesn't matter to me if the instructor is a black belt or not. My current instructor is a black belt. I want the guys I will be rolling with to be at a high level.

Is your current instructor a BB in BJJ? :eek:

My question is what do i do to get a challenge out of the classes? I have done things such as only going after a particular submission the whole rolling session, but that gets boring after a while. I am sure others on this forum have this same problem, or at least HAVE had it.

. That, and I only intend to participate in no-gi competitions and MMA. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I was about to give ideas on how to train smart with lower belt: roll with each students with no break, starting fron lowest to highest belt. only apply subs for 5 seconds and then let go if you do not get the tap. start rolling from bad positions.

But I realised that you might just have outgrown your club.

It is time to move on I guess.

This thread amuses me for a varity of reasons.

Oh and, ive been choked nearly unconsious with my shirt. Shirt chokes are fuckin' legit.

I will have to look into that school, but it doesn't matter to me if the instructor is a black belt or not. My current instructor is a black belt. I want the guys I will be rolling with to be at a high level.
If you are clearly the best guy at your place, you should be rolling with your black belt instructor often. He probably wants to roll with the best guys, too. If he has somewhere else he rolls with higher level guys, ask him!

that the part I did not get.

TS said his instructor will not promote him because he does not train in GI.

I am assuming that TS does train under a BJJ BB but choose not to train in his GI classes.

He said that he trains in a MMA school so my guess is that the BB droppes in to teach a couple of NOGI classes for the MMA members.

TS does not want to train with GI but feel that his MMA team members are weak in grappling.

Back