Finding a challenge

A

Antnymofo

Okay, so I will keep this short and sweet. At my gym, I am pretty much the top dog. Now, our school is relatively new (5 years), and there are not a whole lot of guys there with much experience, so this isn't necessarily saying much. Not to mention our school is a MMA school and not a Bjj school, so a lot of the guys who train their are concentrated on being well rounded as opposed to being a great grappler.

My question is what do i do to get a challenge out of the classes? I have done things such as only going after a particular submission the whole rolling session, but that gets boring after a while. I am sure others on this forum have this same problem, or at least HAVE had it.

There aren't many real BJJ schools in the area, and I don't have the money to pay them anyway. I actually train for free at this school and the instructor is great. I simply don't have a lot of competition. Perhaps I should try gi out. I have never done it, because I don't feel it has any real life applications. That, and I only intend to participate in no-gi competitions and MMA. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

The gi remark is going to get you bashed hard here.

But try letting them have mount, side, back control etc on you when you roll to work on those positions.

this will shortly turn into a gi vs no gi debate

suffice it to say, I assume you are not a nudist

I assume he is a nudist, if it has a collar it can be used

Well, we can have a gi vs no-gi debate all day long, but it won't change anything. This is my opinion; nothing more.

And I am guessing you are saying you would choke me with my t-shirt? That is hardly the same thing as a gi. Also, if a fight is about to break down, I am not going to let my clothing get jacked up. I am at least going to take my shirt off...just saying.

I just want to get better at no-gi grappling. That's it.

Set more goals for yourself. Try to catch your partners in 15 seconds or less, try to get 8 armbars in five minutes. Start from bad positions and work your defense and escapes. Roll with one or no arms. Compete a lot. Train when you are exhausted. There's plenty of stuff to do to improve.

Well, we can have a gi vs no-gi debate all day long, but it won't change anything. This is my opinion; nothing more.

And I am guessing you are saying you would choke me with my t-shirt? That is hardly the same thing as a gi. Also, if a fight is about to break down, I am not going to let my clothing get jacked up. I am at least going to take my shirt off...just saying.

I just want to get better at no-gi grappling. That's it.

Friction.

Points taken. I will set some more goals while rolling, and I will try a few gi classes out, just to see if it helps. Has anyone been up to the alliance gym up in Atlanta? Any good reviews?

There aren't many real BJJ schools in the area, and I don't have the money to pay them anyway.

How many do you need? I found a 3rd degree BB on google within a minute in Augusta. If it's a money thing, perhaps he'll accept some sort of trade. Simple fact is that you're gonna need some training partners on your level (or especially above) to bring your game up. How much is that worth to you?

I actually train for free at this school and the instructor is great. I simply don't have a lot of competition. Perhaps I should try gi out. I have never done it, because I don't feel it has any real life applications. That, and I only intend to participate in no-gi competitions and MMA. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest that you talk to a qualified gi instructor about real life applications before closing the book on it. I'm sure some would love to flame on that, but suffice to say most people are typically wearing a tshirt and pants or shorts most of the time, and knowing how to turn that into an advantage/weapon is handy.

It all comes down to how bad you want it. Many people are hurting for money now, but most people can pick up an extra shift at work, a paper route, pizza job, a shift at a local restaurant, whatever to make the $100 or so to do this.

Points taken. I will set some more goals while rolling, and I will try a few gi classes out, just to see if it helps. Has anyone been up to the alliance gym up in Atlanta? Any good reviews?

That's their national headquarters from what I know. Most likely it will be 100% sport competition oriented (probably more gi than no gi) and will have extremely high level grapplers.

How many do you need? I found a 3rd degree BB on google within a minute in Augusta. If it's a money thing, perhaps he'll accept some sort of trade. Simple fact is that you're gonna need some training partners on your level (or especially above) to bring your game up. How much is that worth to you?

I'd suggest that you talk to a qualified gi instructor about real life applications before closing the book on it. I'm sure some would love to flame on that, but suffice to say most people are typically wearing a tshirt and pants or shorts most of the time, and knowing how to turn that into an advantage/weapon is handy.

It all comes down to how bad you want it. Many people are hurting for money now, but most people can pick up an extra shift at work, a paper route, pizza job, a shift at a local restaurant, whatever to make the $100 or so to do this.

I will have to look into that school, but it doesn't matter to me if the instructor is a black belt or not. My current instructor is a black belt. I want the guys I will be rolling with to be at a high level.

I train at Alliance ATL and in my slightly biased opinion I feel its the best school in the country. The talent level here is very high in both gi and no gi. Class is in gi 5 days a week but I suggest you come in and check it out on a friday during no gi. When you see how talented the guys here are in no gi even though they only train it once a week it may change your mind about how useful the gi is.

I train at Alliance ATL and in my slightly biased opinion I feel its the best school in the country. The talent level here is very high in both gi and no gi. Class is in gi 5 days a week but I suggest you come in and check it out on a friday during no gi. When you see how talented the guys here are in no gi even though they only train it once a week it may change your mind about how useful the gi is.

That made me lol so hard. I'm in Canada, but just the phrase "slightly biased" then you say "best school in the country" is just hilarious. No disrespect intended.

That's their national headquarters from what I know. Most likely it will be 100% sport competition oriented (probably more gi than no gi) and will have extremely high level grapplers.

No kidding man, isn't that where Jacare and Cobrinha train? Getting your ass kicked there would be an honor!

I will have to look into that school, but it doesn't matter to me if the instructor is a black belt or not. My current instructor is a black belt. I want the guys I will be rolling with to be at a high level.

Assuming you mean BJJ BB, what level does your instructor have you at?

Most BJJ places have a free class/week if you're interested in possibly becoming a student, I wouldn't doubt that these guys have the same thing. Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Augusta (I have no affiliation with GB btw)

That made me lol so hard. I'm in Canada, but just the phrase "slightly biased" then you say "best school in the country" is just hilarious. No disrespect intended.

Its no hyperbole. Alliance headquarters is easily one of the top 5 schools in the USA. Just look at the amount of amazing competitors that come out of there. They're doing something right

I have been wanting to come up and train there for a while now. I need to set up a trip to do so. I wouldn't be able to train on a full time bais, obviously, as i live 3 hours away, but I could make it up there to train for a day a couple times a month. i thnk even that would be beneficial for me.

Assuming you mean BJJ BB, what level does your instructor have you at?

Most BJJ places have a free class/week if you're interested in possibly becoming a student, I wouldn't doubt that these guys have the same thing. Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Augusta (I have no affiliation with GB btw)

I do not have an official rank. I have never trained in the gi, and my instructor will not promote you unless you do some gi work. I don't really know what rank I would be. I mean, I have beaten a few purple belts, so maybe around there.

Find another school. I know you have a good deal where you are, but it's really hard to progress unless you're being challenged on a daily basis.

No kidding man, isn't that where Jacare and Cobrinha train? Getting your ass kicked there would be an honor!

Hillary wrote about her trip there, read that and you'll get an idea about that place.

Back