Final Rizin NYE Thoughts (spoilers, obviously)

panem-et-circenses

In the garden
Reaction score
What are some do your final thoughts from this card?

— Oug winning the final was a cool moment considering just how long he’s been fighting, representing Shooto this whole time.

— Kai looked very outmatched. Leading up to this fight he expresses interest in fighting in America, a place where he would have a lot of issues stylistically. He was taken down at will, and with a fence behind him — no ropes to grab — he would’ve been taken down even more.

— The Shrek fight had people laughing in the pbp. What the hell was that? Shoma should really reevaluate what he wants to do moving forward, because unless he had a major injury that was bad.

— Tenshin might’ve been phoning it in, I agree, but his hand speed did not look all that good, footwork was behind. The hyping of the Takeru fight worked though. That was interesting.

— Kota Miura has real skills and deserves a real MMA fighter next time around.

— Souza beast.

Card seemed to drag more than usually during the first part. People were disappointed in some of the matchmaking. I will give this NYE a C+ because the final was so good.

Last edited:
What are some do your final thoughts from this card?

— Oug winning the final was a cool moment considering just how long he’s been fighting, representing Shooto this whole time.

— Kai looked very outmatched. Leading up to this fight he expresses interest in fighting in America, a place where he would have a lot of issues stylistically. He was taken down at will, and with a fence behind him — no ropes to grab — he would’ve been taken down even more.

— The Shrek fight had people laughing in the pbp. What the hell was that? Shoma should really reevaluate what he wants to do moving forward, because unless he had a major injury that was bad.

— Tenshin might’ve been phoning it in, I agree, but his hand speed did not look all that good, footwork was behind. The hyping of the Takeru fight worked though. That was interesting.

— Kota Miura has real skills and deserves a real MMA fighter next time around.

— Souza beast.

Card seemed to drag more than usually during the first part. People were disappointed in some of the matchmaking. I will give this NYE a C+ because the final was so good.
Supposedly Kai broke his hand in the first bout. Wouldn't be surprised if true but could be an excuse, we shall see if he has a cast in the coming months

that would make sense though because he was trying to run out of tds, might not of had his hand
It was his right hand and he had talked about breaking it in his last bout as well. Probably didn't let it heal properly. I think Asakura with no broken hand beats Ougikubo easily but such is the grand prix/two fights in one night experience, so credit to Hiromasa

>He squeezed past Alan Yamaniha in the quarter final but says there were extenuating circumstances. Asakura broke his hand in the first round of that fight but says it won’t be an issue this weekend, “My hand is completely healed I predict the fight will end early. I’ll finish him with a KO.”

https://asianmma.com/kai-asakura-wants-to-end-the-year-on-a-high-note/

My thoughts are that Gomi won the boxing match. But I am a diehard Gomi fanboy.
Yeah he would have won if there was a winner.

Tenshin didnt phone it in at all, theres a big difference when you fight someone bigger, plus hes not as dynamic without kicks. As a boxer hes still a beginner, he has a lot of work to do imo

Good fun card. Rizin has been in a growth phase forever but maybe the pride days are over and its potential is just as a japanese regional scene where the best will eventually move on. They still put on a good show though

this card was sold to the Japanese audiance as "rich youtubers" fighting pro MMA fighters" but in reality it was just a bunch of c-level and b-level mma fighters, some with youtube channels..I really hate this theme/trend because it is so low effort and just plain moronic to present pro fighters as if they were just ordinary youtubers with the balls to step in the ring...why just not use real youtubers who have no idea how to fight ? it would have made for a far better card...

Tenshin's boxing has always been basic and fundamental, move backwards for defence etc, he had a real chance of being emabarassed by gomi, he collected a paycheck, avoided embarasement and added some variety to the card, so good performance by him...his next opponent will be far smaller.

Shrek fight reminded me of "the soul of the fight" in Sengoku VWR, the highlight of the night...by the way, speaking of sengoku, remember the NYE show by Sengoku (back then considered a second tier Japanese promotion) which had 27 fights? Yeah....I remember when JMMA shows actually went into the new year..

the entire card was on youtube minutes after finishing,...those who just watched on youtube and spent their money and TIME elsewhere were the real winners of the night

a C grade suggests a passing mark, the + suggests effort, I would score this as a D-, Technically not a fail as the event progressed smoothly and there were a few fun fights, but overall very low effort..

RIZIN has been in business now for 7 years (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021). How RIZIN went from an A+ student in it's first year to a D- student 7 years later is a mystery and requires the expertise of a shrink or perphaps an esoteric...

fuck me it was last night? i was hoping to watch it.

I'm slowly losing interest in Rizin though. I dont know any of the fighters anymore unfortunately.

Good fun card. Rizin has been in a growth phase forever but maybe the pride days are over and its potential is just as a japanese regional scene where the best will eventually move on. They still put on a good show though
That's the realistic expectation for Rizin. As much as we'd love for every new JMMA org to be Pride 2.0, it's just delusional thinking at this point. I enjoy it for what it is.

I missed the last bit of Session 3 but caught up this morning.

- Rena was a huge disappointment but looked sexy as hell
- it was awesome to see Gomi not get pushed around by the 41-0 younger superstar at 43
- Shrek is love, Shrek is life.
- OUG!!!!!!!!!!
- Enjoyed watching Black Panther get destroyed
- Ya-Man vs Kouzi was nuts
- SHIBATAR!!
- Kubos gf can't sing for shit but I'd absolutely burgle her vagina

Last edited:
Tenshin vs. Gomi was honestly more captivating than I thought it’d be. I didn’t think Tenshin was phoning it in, as much as Gomi gave him a tougher than expected challenge. Particularly in the second round.

Roberto de Souza is even better than I thought.

Was very happy for Ougikubo.

Last edited:
B- / C+ for me.
Side notes:
- Next Trigger and landmark events in February
- Miura, Ren and Kleber will be fighting in February.
- Ren wants a rematch vs Hagiwara.
- Fly or Feather weight GP, depending on the corona situation.
- FOTN via Sakikabara was Inoue vs Ogikubo.

Ovreall a good year for Jmma.

So I know this means fuck all but...

My female Japanese cousin here in Canada knew Rizin. She's not into mma but she knew Kai (who I don't know) and that the event happened. Her friends all watched it.

Anybody know Shrek's backstory? Moreso, why was he so emotional in the pre- and post-fight press conferences and also during his entrance? War Shrek!

Last edited:
Back