Fights that would be scored different if judged under revised 10-8 rule that is effective 1/1/17

If a fighter dominantly loses 1 round in a 3 round fight, it should be very difficult for him/her to overcome that. You basically have to return the favor and dominantly win a round.

I like how you think. IMO Lawler VS Rory should be a draw in the mind of the fans, even with Lawler finishing Rory. Damn, that fight was awesome.

Edgar would've lost the second fight to Maynard instead of getting a draw.

For sure. There also wouldn't be people who think he won the 1st Aldo fight. That is the fight the Judges should have to watch a few times to understand how the new scoring system should be applied. It was the clearest example of a 49-46 we have ever seen under the old system though and there are still arguments so who really knows if anything will actually change. Clear example of a 49-45 under the new system.

Maynard 2 would have been a 47-45 in his favour. That just sounds weird with Frankie winning 3 rounds and still losing by that score, I doubt it will end up being properly utilized by the already incompatent Judges in reality.

The no "playing the game" rule should be a big game changer though.

Last edited:
I doubt anything even changes. Judges could give out 10-8's now if they wanted to but most judges don't even know what they're doing. We have fights where one judge has scored it 30-27 for one fighter, and another judge scores it 30-27 for the other. We need actual trained judges, not new rules.

I think what is needed is 5 Judges watching the fight on a TV in the back so they actually get a good view of the action and will not be biased by crowd reactions and other outside factors. The few the Judges have is terrible and it makes it a little more understandable that they often get decisions wrong that look so clear to us at home. Someone should film a fight from there perspective and put it on the internet so we can all appreciate how hard there job can actually be.

Obviously training would also be a good thing too though.

I wanna see more 10-10 rounds. Rd 1 of GSP vs Hendricks was scored for Hendricks by a lot of people including myself. I think that should be scored as a 10-10 to eliminate the controversy.

The rules also explicitly state they are to rule damage over quantity. So if one guy wobbled his opponent and cut him, but the other guy outlanded him by 30 strikes, but didn't seem to affect him the guy who got wobbled should lose the round.

As an example, the overtime round of Kerr v Vovchanchyn 2.

I wanna see more 10-10 rounds. Rd 1 of GSP vs Hendricks was scored for Hendricks by a lot of people including myself. I think that should be scored as a 10-10 to eliminate the controversy.

Yea I think there should be more 10-10 rounds too. I don't like fighters winning closely fought rounds because they might have had 2 more soft jabs land than their opponent did during the round. That's stupid. Make all of those rounds draws.

I expect it'll take at least a year before all the judges are up on the new system, and during that year, we get a bunch of super-wonky scorecards.

He got dropped twice and had his head ripped off. 10-7

We may need some sort of relative scoring, because round 5 for Woodley/Wonderboy was a shutout. In terms of numbers of strikes thrown and landed, Wonderboy was even more dominant than round 4. Woodley did almost nothing but coast and breath heavy, but who is going to argue that is equal to Round 4? And I think people have a hard time giving Woodley a 10-7 considering Thompson finished on top.

He got dropped twice and had his head ripped off. 10-7

We may need some sort of relative scoring, because round 5 for Woodley/Wonderboy was a shutout. In terms of numbers of strikes thrown and landed, Wonderboy was even more dominant than round 4. Woodley did almost nothing but coast and breath heavy, but who is going to argue that is equal to Round 4? And I think people have a hard time giving Woodley a 10-7 considering Thompson finished on top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back