Fights that made you question everything you know about MMA?

Shoryukennn

White Belt
Reaction score
Name the fights where you, your friends or the experts, were so sure one guy was going to win,

but he didnt.

Or maybe just the ones you got right, despite the world telling you, you were a fool for thinking you were right.

gabriel-gonzaga_mirko-filipovic.gif

Il throw in a few candidates.

Ive gone mostly with upsets, annihilation's and wtf just happened moments.

Fedor v Werdum - obvious in retrospect. not really meant to turn out that way on the night. I think the internet itself meltdown on that one.
Lyoto v Rampage - Lyotos style is just a "bad style match up" for Rampage. Its a nightmare in fact. Yada yada yada robbery!
Story v Brennerman - One of a host of -500 fails (on Story this time). Could quote others, but this one stood out as being such a logic fail, as the late replacement came in and upset what was meant to be a title shot eliminator.
GSP v Serra - Obviously an upset no one saw. Including GSP.
Mercer v Sylvia - Because if you dont avoid the boxers offence...You might not get a second chance. Ioki had a nice taste of this, when he hid from a kickboxer in a mixed rules match. Avoided the strikes for the duration of the striking segment and then got ktfo in under ten seconds in the mma half.
Fedor v Sylvia - 36 seconds. Nathan Marquardt: "I say Sylvia by TKO round three."

FedorSylviaGif3.gif

Silva v Griffin - "Forrest will wear down anderson with leg kicks and give him a good ole merrican beating"
Cain v JDS 1 - Wrestler beats boxer...every time...
Bendo v Pettis - WTF did he just do?
Penn v Edgar 2 - Penn won the first and will absolutely destroy him in the second. He is motivated AND looking for revenge BJ now.

bj-penn-takanori-gomi-rear-naked-chokes_display_image.jpg

people actually forget what the motivated bj penn of legend looked like.

Shogun v Jones - Jones will get his legs smashed as soon as he comes up against credible opposition. You n00bs just dont understand who Shogun is. This man destroyed Overeem in under a round.

Last edited:
Not hating but every time Anderson Silva fights, an no matter how they hype up his challenger saying it would be his toughest opponent, and then he always wins in the end. It's unbelievable to me, made me question everything I know about MMA

Never really felt this way. One of those sports where you prepare yourself for anything.

CC Gonzaga was my biggest wtf moment though as was his loss to Kevin.

Roy Nelson before he lost some of that weight.

A guy as badly out of shape as he was, going in there with the best the UFC HW division has to offer, always putting up a good fight, and never getting knocked out despite insane punishent.

Never really felt this way. One of those sports where you prepare yourself for anything.

CC Gonzaga was my biggest wtf moment though as was his loss to Kevin.

This. I still remember watching that fight in the bar and thinking, "Are my eyes playing tricks on me or did the 'wrong guy' win the way I predicted???"

Houston Alexander and Kimbo Slice. I was left in awe of their athleticism.

This. I still remember watching that fight in the bar and thinking, "Are my eyes playing tricks on me or did the 'wrong guy' win the way I predicted???"
i too picked gonzaga by head kick.

and tonights lottery numbers are...

Rashad vs Chuck

"Man I don't know about this .. I think Chuck will just maul Rashard ..
Chuck rnd 1 KO .. Rashard will try and stand which will be a mistake .. "

ktfo-chuckvs-rashad.gif

indeed.

Last edited:
i too picked gonzaga by head kick.

Oh no, sir - I picked CC via HK all the way. Thus, the wrong guy (for me) won! Great prediction on your part, though. I hope you laid down some bread on that fight.

Some of Lenord Garcias wins have made me question everything I know and think how the judges know nothing

rashad vs chuck
crocop vs gonzaga
jds vs cain 2

Penn vs Edgar 1

I was not expecting Frankie to be that good or (demotivated) Penn to be that bad, at all.

Forrest/Shogun I
Forrest/Rampage
Chael/Silva I

All of those fights I was left thinking WTF - it's moments like those that truly make MMA though.

Cro Cop getting laid out by Randleman like that was quite the shocker.

Back