fighting strategy w/left leg only

BJJ Coffee Drinker

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
i am going to fight kickboxing soon, no leg kicks. i hyperextended my right knee so i may not kick with it, only occasionally when i know i wont miss. so basically, i will fight with two hands and left leg. what kind of strategy should i use in general when just one legged? dont say wait and counter because it is short one minute rounds so we will be aggressive as if we had rabies. also, i think my opponent is more counter fighter. any tips or advice will be of help to me

Are you southpaw or orthodox?

Well, shit I hope your boxing is pretty good. Are knees and elbows allowed?
As far as kicks with the left leg, I'd stick with round, side and front kicks to the body...if you're not used to kicking with your left leg then you don't want to be off balance by throwing too many head kicks.
Other than that, I'd kick sparingly and try to get inside and end it with the hands as quick as possible.

my boxing is my strong point. i am also comfortable kicking with my left leg.

Im orthodox fighter and when fight another orthodox fighter whenever they go to throw that right hand i usually fire a left thai kick to mid section (liver if posible). Other than that you can use it for attacking the inside leg of the lead leg of your opponet, and use it for head shots.

If im fightina southpaw, i attack the shit out of their lead leg with my left leg, since the leg is right there. I jsut do quick little snap kicks and pound the shit out of it.

But since your fighting one minute rounds, which sound rediculous, kicking the leg to break down your opponent is almost useless so only time you should use it is for a set up for your punches.

ASiAnVaLEtUDo said:
my boxing is my strong point. i am also comfortable kicking with my left leg.

You shouldn't have too much trouble adapting, then. Just make sure you don't get too caught up and throw out the right leg. Pain city!

yep. the one mintue rounds is gonna force us to come out hard and strong right off the bat so i will have no time for any "breaking him down" tactics. i also know my opponent is a decent kicker who uses a lot of looping hooks with both hands.

Colby18 said:
But since your fighting one minute rounds, which sound rediculous, kicking the leg to break down your opponent is almost useless so only time you should use it is for a set up for your punches.

I believe it's American kickboxing where no kicks below the waist are allowed. I say go for the head/neck kick when you get the right oppurtunity if you think you're good enough with your left leg.

Back