Fighting shorter guys

earthman32

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Okay, I know there's a common assumption that fighting is easier if you're taller than your opponent because your reach excedes his, but I've been sparring with a friend of mine who uses a lot of head movement and looping right hands.

My defense isn't superb, but I can slip punches if I see them coming. Problem is, he's so short I lose sight of him. To make matters worse, I get hit and go into my peakaboo guard and limits my sight below my hands.

So here's the question:
Should I be bending down at his level. It seems like a feasible solution because not only would I be able to see the punches better but it's more easy for me to get under the punches.

So:
Am I giving away my height advantage by lowering to his level?

This is a great question. If a fighter is a lot shorter than you, one thing that is very effective is to crouch. You won't give away your reach advantage, and you'll be harder to counter because your hands will be comparatively higher. This is a very effective strategy against those short bob & weave types ... crouch down and jab them LOW. I like to aim for their neck. They will often try to duck under it and catch it square in the face.

A perfect example of this approach can be seen used by Allastair Overeem, who often towers over his opponents. Watch him fight Igor, and see how he brings himself down so that he is punching out (maximum range + protection) rather than diagonally out and down (less range & protection).

Good luck! And remember, don't bend at the waist, you gotta bend your knees and keep throwing with proper form. Tiring.

i'm a short fighter, and the first time i fought someone shorter i got scared. anyway a "cheap" way is you can try to develop a habit of clinching. recall that short people have to come foward after evading a punch to hit you. if you see that a shorter fighter just evaded and is intending to counter w/ a step + attack, get defensive (cover face, bend down) step foward into him, and hopefully he'll be too close to hurt you, clinch, and then you guys get reset by the ref.

i also wanna add i only currently have one shorter fighter, and its a she and she's not experienced yet. she's falling into my clinch traps. i'm not sure how good ur opponent is, but if he isn't totally experienced, he might also fall into a clinch trap.

I always used to be the shorter guy and thought life sucked. Dropped a weight class and am now the taller guy and life is even worse.
Your guard really does go out of the window. If you keep your hands up you can't see the guy but if you lower them you get hit.
But tell you what. I think I'll try that crouch thing.

jab jab pushkick jab jab jab pushkick

if he gets closer than the length or your arms, clinch

i've been the shorter guy for years :( and i can tell you keep him on your outside range (obviously) crouch slightly for one and utilize the jab ALOT to keep him from moving in, another good thing is if you go on the offense throw a kick follow with hands and almost "retreat" afterwards shuffle out or circle out to get your distance again.... if you have a charger who tries to barrel in jab jab and if they get through that rear hand uppercut that will stop them in their tracks but all the while be back peddaling while your throwing that rear usually the'll back off.... if they are really to much to handle when it comes to hands on the inside don't let them in use a front kick to keep them off (or a side kick im a side kick fan myself) and throw long stratights while they are off balance..... i'll tell you one thing is i parry and trade shots a lot to get to the inside and its fairly easy for me, but when you stick a hard kick, even if it doesn't cleanly land, it'll keep people off you

I am a short guy 5' 5".

What works well on me is a consistant effective jab.

If you can keep me off distance with that, you will be effective at landing your other punches. Short guys like me rely on inside fighting and need to get inside your range to be most effective.

If I get inside though, you will be the recipient of some heavy body shots.

If it is MMA, and I get inside, I prefer to go for the takedown.

im a tall guy for my division 59 125lbs. i utilize the jab more than any other punch because it creates distance, if my shorter opponent luckily gets past my teep/kick i'd clinch and release a barrage of knees while putting all my weight on my him then push him a little to create space for a right roundhouse. the superman punch is also effective as a trick punch, lands all the time for me. sometimes i also put down my left hand (like mayweather) to lure my shorter opponent, when he comes in a back up a little then spinning back fist is next. works most of the time for me. however, i cant really take a well placed body punch.

if you're against guys who are good at cutting off the ring, a good drill I've done a couple times:
- your partner tries to cut the ring. He divides the ring into quadrants and tries to keep you within one quadrant. To do this he uses side movement and punches. He can ONLY throw hooks to the body (to move and contain you)
- you on the other hand try to stay circling and not get cut off. If he cuts you off, you try to move in on him and pivot out. You throw NO PUNCHES

Great drill.

Alot of people mistake me for a little kid, but I whoop every single person I'm put in against.

I don't think it matters, so long as you're genetically gifted in the athletics department.

This is a great question. If a fighter is a lot shorter than you, one thing that is very effective is to crouch. You won't give away your reach advantage, and you'll be harder to counter because your hands will be comparatively higher. This is a very effective strategy against those short bob & weave types ... crouch down and jab them LOW. I like to aim for their neck. They will often try to duck under it and catch it square in the face.

A perfect example of this approach can be seen used by Allastair Overeem, who often towers over his opponents. Watch him fight Igor, and see how he brings himself down so that he is punching out (maximum range + protection) rather than diagonally out and down (less range & protection).

Good luck! And remember, don't bend at the waist, you gotta bend your knees and keep throwing with proper form. Tiring.

great advice!!!!

ertz

jab jab pushkick jab jab jab pushkick

if he gets closer than the length or your arms, clinch

i agree except before u go to clinch give a solid knees (if he catches it do it only to the head so he can't grab it)

I am tall and I learned a technique from these three guys that were on TV a long time ago on a black and white show. All I do is extend my left hand and hold their foreheads. They punch like crazy under my arm but can not reach me. After they do that for a while, I grab for the closest vase and hit them over the head with the vase. I still have not heard the tweet, tweet tweet noise like they made but I am still trying.

im a tall guy, 6'8" and the guy i used to spar with regularly wasnt even 6 foot but he was a really good striker with kicks mainly. but he was quick and could avoid head shots. so i used body to head combos. power punch to the body then a jab to the head. say left hook to the body followed by a right jab then a left hook to the head. if they're still standing step forward with a right elbow. always worked on me. you dont wanna use the same combo everytime sparring though it gets read. but you get the picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DREDATORXXXXL
Back