Fighting in a (smaller) ring advice

LZD

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Today I was fighting in the ring, something I hardly get a chance to do. Moreover, the ring was quite small. Not drastically smaller, but definitely smaller than the size of a ring they'd use for an actual fight.

I kept getting trapped, ducking my head, and even (this is so embarrassing) turning my back on my opponent as I navigated along the rope.

The fact that this would happen, somehow gave me an inclination to turn my back even when a flurry was coming.

It was so embarrassing, so:

1. tips for footwork in a smaller ring?

2. tips for not ducking the head, etc, and watching whats going on when a fast flurry comes in?

drills? video of drills? etc.

If you are not the aggressive guy, you will end up in the ropes.

Your reactions are common if you do not have experience in there. Practice will get you more comfortable. Do drills against the ropes and in the corner to become more proficient.

If you are the aggressor, you will spend more time in the middle and your opponet will have to deal with the ropes.

It is like fighting in a 16-18 ft training cage as opposed to a fuller sized one. Nowhere to run!

Today I was fighting in the ring, something I hardly get a chance to do.
May I ask what your training?
As I train boxing I only spar in a ring, anything else would screw-ball my brain lol.

Your problem is that you don't know how to use the ropes. You've never been trained how to fight off the ropes (completely different game than sparring out on the open)

This happened to me when I joined a new boxing gym and they had a freaking 14 foot ring. I got raped so badly by a really aggressive guy I would have picked apart if I had more space.

After that my coach taught me how to use the ropes. Problem solved.

I suggest you do the same. If you're coach is legit, he'll know a whole lot about it - beginners who start getting comfortable with sparring get their minds blown when they discover fighting off the ropes is a whole other game itself.

1. tips for footwork in a smaller ring?

2. tips for not ducking the head, etc, and watching whats going on when a fast flurry comes in?

drills? video of drills? etc.

1. if you still want to create angles you will have to start creating them with pivots instead of steps. Besides what I mentioned in the previous post you probably also aren't used to getting stuck in the corner. There's a lot of stuff to say about that too.

Also I dunno if you're doing boxing or kickboxing. If boxing and no leg kicks, there are SO MANY great tricks you can do off the ropes. You can do all sorts of awesome setups, here's my favorite for example: Because the ropes are flexible, you can place your foot at a different distance each time your back hits the ropes. It really fucks with the other guy's distance and timing b/c he doesn't know whether or not you have more space to go back.

2. Same as above, really. You can get away from flurries pretty easily on the ropes because you can LEAN BACK. And time that shit so you can tie him up. Guys who flurry against the ropes risk getting spun around too, and that's another skill you can train.

if your getting stuck on ropes you must have not been training very long..if its small have you ever tryed standing your ground..you know you can still parry and dodge while staninding in one place you dont have to run around..the reason some gyms buy small rings is because they are douche's they want to see people brawl instead of doing your own style..they want to see infighting even if your a out boxer..dat is why most gym owners suck the big one..you should find a gym with more than one ring one small and one big that way you can work what you want

you should really practice trying to keep him away with your jabs and pivoting out. another trick would be timing his flurry push back on the rope making him miss most punches, the ropes should swing you back at him and just start unloading your flurry. another lil trick is when you feel the ropes on your back tie him up and spin him around so he is on the rope and then start unloading.

The small ring is designed for more engagement so the mentality is offence is the best defence. good luck man

Today I was fighting in the ring, something I hardly get a chance to do.
Well there's your problem.
More time and practice in the ring is what's needed.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I've trained in Muay Thai/kickboxing for 7-8 years. 3 years experience in Judo. 1 year experience in MMA.

Only just started boxing this year... I'm ok at a range, but I'm basically like...a kickboxer without the kicks when I get into the boxing ring. Not very profficient at slips/rips, ducking, changing levels and all of that.

My gym has two rings and a cage. Both rings are much larger than this one I was using. I have started sparring at a different gym just with friends one day a week. It's this much smaller ring that is giving me the problems. I really am a fish out of water.

Taking up boxing for me, is really just to complement my MMA and MT training. Trying to improve my hands, ability to change levels, and just to focus on that stuff in general.

I think working in a smaller ring once a week will help me improve. Thanks guys, any more tips or drills are appreciated

I think it's just about getting as muc time in there as you can.
Pad drills, sparring, shadow boxing etc - do them in the ring and build
up an awareness of the ropes and corners. Practice being mobile around the ring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back