fighting a bluebelt in mma.

Watch Clay Guida. He's a master at making black belts look like noobs.

Blue belt doesn't necessarily mean he's all that good. He could have been training bjj for less time than you have been doing judo. While he'll probably have a pure grappling advantage over you, you should probably be able to keep it standing, and if top control is your game then you'll probably be alright. Unless he's one of those competition level blues who is on the verge of purple. Then I would avoid the ground altogether. But it's not like blue belt means he's some world beater.

That seems pretty soon for a MMA fight. I'd work on basic sub defenses (armbar, triangle, RNC, guillotine.) And escapes (mount, cross body, north south.)

If I was looking to be serius in MMA, I would cut off the judo to once or twice a week and focus on bjj the rest of the time...

Keep it standing. It looks like there is a good chance you have way better stand up then him.If things go bad, take him down.

it will be a boxing ring i'd say as there is pro boxing and kickboxing on the same night.
yea supremacy is always held in the cage.
thanks for the support and the advice.

i'm already cutting the judo to once a week,foccussing on bjj,boxing and mma classes.

Just because he's a blue belt I wouldn't assume he is any better than you are on the ground. Remember some blue belts have 6-12 months of experience.

Plus you have a year of Muay Thai and have been working privately with a boxing coach. I would say you'll be fine against a guy who is also 0-0.

ok so have found out a bit more about the guy hes 42 years old a prison guard virtually no-stand up but my coach said the team he comes from are very good grapplers.

15 months at once a week? Thats not almost blue. I've done 15 months at 6 days a week and I'm not a blue.

Good luck!

He said he has done 18 months of Judo training in conjuction with 15 months of BJJ once a week. Judo/BJJ are so close to each other.

I train both and have for about 3 years. Some grips are different and the names are different but the techs are the same. That's all I'm saying.

BJJRage Just curious, what are your grappling credentials?

Train hard, stay safe.

Last edited:
i wrote that wrong edited now,i actually did 3 months of bjj two-three times a week before starting judo.
aparently the guy has no striking at all,sparred for the first time last week.but he comes from a team of very good grapplers.

There's a brownbelt at my school who is absolutely sick in straight grappling, but once you start throwing punches and kicks he's a white belt.

i wrote that wrong edited now,i actually did 3 months of bjj two-three times a week before starting judo.
aparently the guy has no striking at all,sparred for the first time last week.but he comes from a team of very good grapplers.

amazing how people want to fight MMA with no striking skills at all.

the rules are full MMA with head strikes on the ground?

I guess the sprawll and brawl will be a good option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back