Fighters whose aura and all round reputation was taken in one fight

TheMaster

Take The Road To Reality
@red
Reaction score
Wanderlei vs Leben

By far most humiliating loss of Wandy's career, left fighting the referee like being woken from a nightmare. All his previous devastating victories and aura of fear was effectively taken by Leben and put in his back pocket. Although credit to Wanderlei his kept going and regained some of his rep but it was never the same after that.

Dillashaw vs Garbrandt 1 and 2
Smack talk followed by beatdown twice

Ruas vs Otsuka
Ruas was sick but still, a sad loss for a guy considered 'Rickson' category of uber legend fighter previously. Hard to really compare but basically a 'God of mma' in Brazil losing to a pro wrestler...

Matt Hughes Vs Royce Gracie:
All that mystique, legend and sense of invincibility traded for ending up beatdown, facedown. Another one that is hard to watch.

Mir vs Noguera 2
Submitting the previously 'HW GOAT BJJ mma fighter' after KOing first time was really taking his rep and adding it to his accolades

Ken Shamrock vs Anyone post 2004
I'll always remember you Ken as the World most dangerous man that got me into the sport. But damn, someone should have stopped that man fighting and made him a fortune off of his legacy and fame that he deserved.

Any other examples of fights where the fighter essentially had his reputation and aura taken in 1 fight or against 1 opponent.

Last edited:
Ronda vs Holly

Tdrfjsx.gif

Fedor/Bigfoot. It was easy to chalk up the Werdum loss as a fluke, but goddamn... that beating he took from Bigfoot was just savage.

CroCop/Gonzaga. I know he got starched by Randleman before, but most people chalked that up as a fluke and he went on a dominant run after that. That Gonzaga decapitation was definitely the beginning of the end to him as an elite fighter.

Cruz/Garbrandt. Cruz losing was one thing, but seeing him basically get dominated at his own game was definitely surprising.

Silva/Weidman. Yeah... rekt.

JJ and Peds/coke comes to mind right away

Aldo getting slept in 13 seconds defintely did a lot of damage to his rep and his soul, especially with all that preceded it.

dos santos vs velasquez 2
reem vs bigfoot

Anderson getting slept by Weidman has to take it.

Weidman not known for his striking, Anderson showboating against what he thinks is another scrub all to get slumped to the ground and had his head used as a speed bag.

Literal poetry in motion.

One of the best days of my life. I threw a party the next day I was that elated.

Ngannou, after he was supposed to sleep Miocic and has since looked v. shook

Aldo vs McGregor gets my vote for #1

Silva vs Cro Cop 2
McGregor vs Nate
Fedor vs Werdum
Thompson vs Woodley 1
Cain vs Werdum

Anderson Silva losing to that bum they call Weidman.
Even though he won the fight a lot of the aura was gone after Andy cheal 1.

He showed he could be beaten even though. Heal failed.

I’ll add gsp Hughes 2 to the list.

Back