Fighters who weren't in their prime when they came to the UFC?

Cro Cop was in his prime, he just stopped fighting Light Heavyweights, masked wrestlers, and Japanese bums.
yea he fought some odd fights, but he also fought some great fighters

prime Fujita, Igor, Herring, Randleman, FEdor, Nog, Coleman, aleks, barnett, etc.

Cro Cop was in his prime, he just stopped fighting Light Heavyweights, masked wrestlers, and Japanese bums.

I think you're one of the best and most entertaining contributors on sherdog but CC had a ton of fights before moving to the ufc. Hard to say he was in his prime. I know he won the open weight Grand Prix still think he was on the declibe. Think the cage had a lot to do with it

yea he fought some odd fights, but he also fought some great fighters

prime Fujita, Igor, Herring, Randleman, FEdor, Nog, Coleman, aleks, barnett, etc.

Fair enough to both of you.

I think you're one of the best and most entertaining contributors on sherdog but CC had a ton of fights before moving to the ufc. Hard to say he was in his prime. I know he won the open weight Grand Prix still think he was on the declibe. Think the cage had a lot to do with it

giphy.gif

He just won the fucking open weight GP

He was definitely in his prime

No he wasn't. Forget the hype and the records and just watch his fights. He didn't move like he did in his Pride glory days.

It was like watching pre-sickness Brock and post-sickness Brock.

A lot of fighters got better in the UFC. Or do you mean fighters who were over their prime?

i don't know about crocop. i think physically he was probably still in his prime, but at the tail-end. i personally think he just lost motivation. i think him winning the 06's gp was the end for him. i think he felt he had accomplished all he wanted. in fact, i think i remember the fertittas begging him to come fight for the ufc, and gave him ton of cash to do it. don't think his heart was in it anymore.

i don't know about crocop. i think physically he was probably still in his prime, but at the tail-end. i personally think he just lost motivation. i think him winning the 06's gp was the end for him. i think he felt he had accomplished all he wanted. in fact, i think i remember the fertittas begging him to come fight for the ufc, and gave him ton of cash to do it. don't think his heart was in it anymore.

His heart wasn't in it anymore? Is what why he is still fighting to this day ?

Nog Bros. Age wise they weren't that old, but their body carried tons of mileage.

His heart wasn't in it anymore? Is what why he is still fighting to this day ?

at that time i don't think it was, no. someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but there was a lot of suspicion that crocop was never going to fight in the ufc.

The whole PRIDE roster. They all immediately got out of their prime when they signed with the UFC.

I think it's debateable. He had talked about retirement before the GP in 2006. IIRC he had an interview in early '06 where he said he wanted the Fedor rematch or he'd retire because he was nearly done with fighting.

He had 28 MMA fights and around 22 kickboxing fights by the time he entered the UFC. 10 year combat career with tons of fights during those 10 years by that time.

In my opinion, he had already declined a fair amount, but it's always hard to say. I think CC in 2004 was a different man than in 2006. At least physically.

Back