Fighter's who moved up to another weight division to challenge another fighter?

0-1

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Which Fighter's ever moved up to another weight division to challenge another fighter? I am not talking about fighters who moved up a division because they could no longer make the weight, i mean guy's who moved up to intentionally fight a bigger guy for the challenge? Happens a lot more in boxing but what about in the UFC?

Anderson Silva did it 3 times in the UFC
Vs Irvin, Griffin & Bonnar

there is 5 champ in two division
Couture
Penn
GSP
Conor
DC

a few moved up and down during their career.
Too lazy to make a list.

giphy.gif

Nick Diaz (Silva)
BJ Penn (GSP)
D.C. (Stipe)
Silva (Forrest, Bonner, Irvin)
Sonnen (Jones)
Vitor (Jones)
Conor (Diaz)
GSP (Bisping)

Others intended to, but it didn't pan out:

Holloway (Khabib)
Weidman (Jones)
Romero (DC)
Rockhold (Werdum)
Ortega (Khabib)
Aldo (Khabib)
Woodley (Bisping)

That's all I've got for now. On a side note, this exercise really does shine a light on who the badasses are.

Penn scrapping with Machida
Wanderlei vs Hunt
Manhoef went in a heavyweight Tourny
Vitor/Chael vs Jones

Anderson Silva did it 3 times in the UFC
Vs Irvin, Griffin & Bonnar

there is 5 champ in two division
Couture
Penn
GSP
Conor
DC

a few moved up and down during their career.
Too lazy to make a list.

I think you are definitely the most tolerable of the GSP fans. I probably would have even partied with you in Quebec after GSP beat Bisping. I know you got hammered. Lol

Do you think he’s done or will he come back for something?

I can’t really tell. His intentions are hard to read.

I was actually thinking about this exact same thing yesterday. Specifically about Machida. He won the LHW belt as a natural MW who didn't cut to make 205. Not sure if it's technically what you're talking about, but for all intents and purposes it is. Machida won a belt above his natural weight. As did Frankie at 155, BJ at 170, GSP at MW, Faber at 145, Couture at HW.

I see DC more as a HW who moved down and won a belt below his natural weight class. I also see Conor as a natural LW who managed to make the cut to 145 and seize an opportunity.

Just need to point out Silva also moved up to fight the champ champ D.C.

Which Fighter's ever moved up to another weight division to challenge another fighter? I am not talking about fighters who moved up a division because they could no longer make the weight, i mean guy's who moved up to intentionally fight a bigger guy for the challenge? Happens a lot more in boxing but what about in the UFC?
"I can´t think of any, right now..."

saku bless.jpg

Andersons name comes to my mind

Almost all of Sakuraba and Frankie fights

I was actually thinking about this exact same thing yesterday. Specifically about Machida. He won the LHW belt as a natural MW who didn't cut to make 205. Not sure if it's technically what you're talking about, but for all intents and purposes it is. Machida won a belt above his natural weight. As did Frankie at 155, BJ at 170, GSP at MW, Faber at 145, Couture at HW.

I see DC more as a HW who moved down and won a belt below his natural weight class. I also see Conor as a natural LW who managed to make the cut to 145 and seize an opportunity.
Machida weighed 222 when he fought BJ at open weight so I'm skeptical about the whole Machida didn't cut weight to fight at 205.

Machida weighed 222 when he fought BJ at open weight so I'm skeptical about the whole Machida didn't cut weight to fight at 205.

He weighed in at like 203 every fight. If he did cut weight, it was minimal. He was actually pretty fat when he fought BJ.

hqdefault.jpg

machida-sbs.jpg

The guy on the left is not someone who cut a lot of weight.

BJ fought Machida, but actually 1st challenged... Fujita....

Wand vs Hunto on short notice...

Mousasi vs Hunto too...

Ninja vs Sergei

He weighed in at like 203 every fight. If he did cut weight, it was minimal. He was actually pretty fat when he fought BJ.

hqdefault.jpg

machida-sbs.jpg

The guy on the left is not someone who cut a lot of weight.

Woah strong facial aesthetics transformation from the BJ fight. Just goes to show what having a lowbody fat % can do

Hendo vs Fedor

Wand vs Cro Cop n Hunt

Minowaman vs everyone

Back