Fighters turning down fights

SaltFork

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I see a lot of fighters turning down certain fights because of the name, kinda like the high risk low reward factor. But isn’t it the fighters job to fight whoever the ufc puts on the table as long as the money is right? How can a fighter just decide “I don’t want that fight”. They should have to take whatever fight the company throws at them, it’s their job.

Not always. This is their career and they need to make the best career decisions. UFC is known to try to fuck fighters by pressuring them into high risk/ low reward fights

They can turn down fights. It all depends on if they're a money maker or big name as to whether it will affect their standing with the UFC.

It’s career management. There’s little incentive to take fights that will do little to further your career which effects your future earnings and negotiation power.

End of the day it is ULTIMATE FIGHTING.
Says thats in the company’s title.
If you are not willing to fight anyone in your division then you don’t belong on the roster at all imo.
Picking whom you fight is the work of pro boxers.
This ain’t boxing and the more it borrows from boxing the worse it is.

I see a lot of fighters turning down certain fights because of the name, kinda like the high risk low reward factor. But isn’t it the fighters job to fight whoever the ufc puts on the table as long as the money is right? How can a fighter just decide “I don’t want that fight”. They should have to take whatever fight the company throws at them, it’s their job.
It's the fighters job to look out for their own interests foremost. No one else will: fans, promoters, agents, etc.

It's the promoters job to entice fighters into taking fights. But mma is backwards in this respect.

giphy.gif

End of the day it is ULTIMATE FIGHTING.
Says thats in the company’s title.
If you are not willing to fight anyone in your division then you don’t belong on the roster at all imo.
Picking whom you fight is the work of pro boxers.
This ain’t boxing and the more it borrows from boxing the worse it is.
Totally agree

They are contractors....

It should be pretty simple: if you're winning, you can fight up. If you lost one, you should fight someone at least 1 position below you in the rankings. If you lost more than one, you have to fight down 1 rank or more and can't fight up.

Of course, UFC would never establish strict rules for matchmaking, because they want to have the freedom to match up whoever they want.

Where does it say it's their job to just take on any fight?

Every time they fight they risk a whole lot and put in a whole lot, so it's really understandable that they want a fight that they think is worth all that sacrifice and risk.

Makes you appreciate guys like Benson and Cowboy when they're still in the 155 division. These guys have never turned down a fight. Anytime, anywhere, anyone.

Almost all the time.. turn down a fight and Dana either skips you or just straight back to the end of the line...

Those are "smart" moves for the career of a fighter.
I am not agree with them but I am not a professional fighter, so It is what it is

They aren't employees, they're contract hires. They are offered work and choose whether to accept it.

They are independent contractors but employees. They can turn down any fight they want.

They aren't slaves and as much as you want to see slaves fight at the whim of their master for your personal entertainment this isn't 1840 anymore.

That's one thing Dana has in common with the fans:
We love a fighter who is ready for anyone anytime anywhere.

Back