• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fighters that you weren’t supporting, but then became a fan later?

Otto!

Steel Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their reasons for supporting certain fighters, but are there some that you weren’t a fan of originally, but later came on board as they grew on you?

For me this happened with Condit when he first came to the UFC. I didn’t really follow him in WEC, and I didn’t get to appreciate him until after a few fights in the UFC, but eventually he became one of my favourite. His fight with GSP is still top 10 in my book.

Same thing with Maia at first. I thought that he was too one dimensional to get behind him, but now I really appreciate his wizard-level grappling, in spite of some less than stellar fights. Also happens to be one of the most classy guy in MMA.

Yours?

Initially didn't care for Bisping, but he grew on me over the years.

Max Holloway literally grabbed me by the nuts around the time he beat Lamas

Maybe Werdum. The jump kick and also the pushkick on Edmond amused me.
#MariconPwningftw.

All of the fighters that I'm currently a fan of I was originally not supporting at first.

Mike Perry. Didn't like him the first couple times I saw him because I tight he was a clown. However, listening to interviews of him when he's not in fight camp, he's a cool dude. Definitely a fan of his this day in age.

Older fighters that I didn't like in their prime, but learned to like and respect ovver time, especially when they movved into the twilight of their careers, similar to how I felt about Michael Jordan

BJ Penn
Chuck Liddell
Overeem a bit (even though sometimes I root against him still, I really respect what he's done in the world of martial arts, enough to say I like him in a strange way)
lots of others

Generally, I'm different than others here in that I don't really like or hate many fighters. A few words or actions don't change my view of someone.

I usually like everyone until they give me a reason not to, so I haven't really done a 180 on anyone that way.

Like Jon Jones. Thought he was great until the first DUI... Then I always rooted against him.

Once I was a blind and unenlightened hater myself, but Mike Perry showed me the light and now I acknowledge that he is the GOAT and that he would KO Ngannou stiff.

I should add Woodley to my list. I thought he played the victim card too much at fist, but I now appreciate him as a champ who defended the belt 3 times in a year. Nice change.

Definitely Angela Magana.
I’m still in shock that they cut her.
Just when I was becoming a huge fan.

Back in the day koshcheck. Always thought he was a douche but started be a fan because he fought so often.

Brian Ortega for sure. Didn't like his nickname, didn't like his face, thought he was pulling out wins he shouldn't. But he's legit, will be pulling for him in the future.

Stephen Thompson too. I thought people were mad overrating him, and he's a 1-dimensional fighter whose style won't work at the higher levels. Obviously I was wrong and he's tough af.

Jon Jones, I really didn't like him to start, but I gradually came to appreciate him. He's basically a big boss/villain in the LHW division.

Rory Mac. Seemed like an annoying hipster dweeb at first and the cringey shuffle against BJ didn't help.
But he won me over after the 2nd fight with Lawler.

Back