Fighters that fought eachother who soon went on to become close training partners?

B

Bulletproof Acc

Alex and Jimi fought eachother not too long ago
Gustafsson-vs.-Manuwa.jpg

Alex and Jimi are now in the same squad. Close friends
21ALEX_5.JPG

I love this shit. Other examples?

Dont forget Gustaffson and Phil Davis.

Fight each other prospect vs prospect on the prelims, start training together and both become contenders (or at least top 5 to top 10) later on.

Thats pretty amazing when years later you look back at the resumes of contenders and find out or remember that they have fought already a looong time ago when they were stil prospects. Like if a McGregor vs Duffy rematch ever happened.

I like when fighters have enough control over their egos to allow them to train with guys who beat them.
Not that it's necessarily rare. It's just a nice reminder that not everyone is a douche.

Gus training (and becoming close friends with) Phil Davis after losing to him is one of the reasons I became a fan.

Sonnen and Okami. After Chael schooled Thunder they quickly wound up training together.

BJ Hughes and that was after their trilogy was complete.

Didnt Hughes and BJ spend some time together after they fought for like 3 times?

Edit: yeah you nailed it Driven

Last edited by a moderator:
Chael/Okami, they were even at peace with the fact that there was a good chance of the rematch happening but oddly enough it never did.

Dont forget Gustaffson and Phil Davis.

Fight each other prospect vs prospect on the prelims, start training together and both become contenders (or at least top 5 to top 10) later on.

Thats pretty amazing when years later you look back at the resumes of contenders and find out or remember that they have fought already a looong time ago when they were stil prospects. Like if a McGregor vs Duffy rematch ever happened.

Yeah. I feel like Hollaway and McG were prospects when they fought. Obviously McG fights at a higher level now but they both grown!

I like when fighters have enough control over their egos to allow them to train with guys who beat them.
Not that it's necessarily rare. It's just a nice reminder that not everyone is a douche.

Gus training (and becoming close friends with) Phil Davis after losing to him is one of the reasons I became a fan.

100% agree

Thiago Silva trained with Rashad after they fought though I thought Thiago should have won, he was beating Rashad up and all Rashad did was get takedowns and not do much with them.

Mike Brown and Yves Edwards. Brownie beat him in Bodog, then they became friends after that I believe. For a fighter, MTB is probably one of the nicer/funnier guys you could meet. You'd never think he was a fighter.

Thiago Silva trained with Rashad after they fought though I thought Thiago should have won, he was beating Rashad up and all Rashad did was get takedowns and not do much with them.

Totally agree with you, but I've never gotten used to this Unified system of judging.

Thiago/Rashad was clearer to me than a Pride fight like Ninja/Hendo, where Ninja dominated positions on the ground and dominated almost the entire fight, but Hendo rocked him and almost put him away at the end.
With Thiago/Rashad, I only remember Rashad getting a few TD's and being unable to even keep him down for long. And Thiago rocked Rashad badly in the 3rd round.
Yea, IMO, a few seconds of actually fighting and almost finishing someone means way more than 12-14 minutes of "controlling the fight".
I made a thread and got dubs over this one...

Yeah. I feel like Hollaway and McG were prospects when they fought. Obviously McG fights at a higher level now but they both grown!

lmao

Conor already was a champion in another MMA org, he was 25 years old and he was not a prospect. Holloway was 20 when he started fighting in the UFC. Keep your delusional conor nuthuggery out of this threads pls.

Back